We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling with Luggage

nyc
Level Contributor
620 posts
3 reviews
Traveling with Luggage

I know this is one of those 'search for it' type questions and I have, but due to the specificity and what I've learned from searching, I feel like I need to ask anyway.

My situation is this. I arrive/leave from NRT, I am staying in Koto. There is one time I wish to visit the Takashimaya Station Mall in Chiba. This is obviously very far out of the way of both central Tokyo and NRT.

My solution initially was to arrive at NRT, perhaps forward my luggage to the hotel near Shiomi, go directly to Takashimaya, then to the hotel afterwards. I have since decided it may be best for me on all fronts to make this the end of my trip instead of the beginning.

So I am curious as to what you would do. Let us say I will be traveling with two full-sized checked bags plus a backpack for carry-on. What is the best and most convenient way to ensure my bags will be ready for my flight?

A) Have my luggage forwarded from hotel to NRT (when?)

B) Take luggage early to NRT, store it, then go to Kashiwa/Takashimaya and return to NRT for flight?

C) Take luggage to Kashiwa, store it in lockers, visit Takashimaya, take luggage to NRT?

I was leaning towards C and I have confirmed Kashiwa has lockers, but I'm unsure if they will be large enough (and if large lockers will even be available) and I am not sure about traveling on the train with them.

Any suggestions would be most helpful

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
25,708 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Traveling with Luggage

Kashiwa station lockers: http://coinlockersearch.com/kashiwa.html

However there is the risk of all 12 large size lockers being occupied.

A) has the least hassle but most expensive. You need to send it 2 days in advance. Ship by Wednesday evening for Friday flight.

nyc
Level Contributor
620 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Traveling with Luggage

Thank you, that site is excellent. Hopefully the google translation is accurate enough.

I was looking at the various forwarding companies and it looks like as long as I place the call by 12, Yamato can do next day. I think I will just verify this at arrival and this may be my best option. I will have the carry-on with me regardless so I think I will just use this then rearrange at the airport if necessary. This seems like the best option.

Thanks again.

Shikoku, Japan
Level Contributor
263 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Traveling with Luggage

Whatever luggage you can get by without you should send ahead of you to NRT. If you can live out of your backpack for two days, I would send both bags to NRT. Sending luggage ahead of you is very safe and punctual in Japan.

In Japan especially, the less luggage you can get by with the better. It is very awkward to travel with large suitcases or bags. The train stations often have only stairs and even travel on the shinkansen is problematic if you have a lot of luggage.

If you can replace one full sized bag and check in a carry on sized bag instead, you'll be much better off.

4. Re: Traveling with Luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2016, 14:45
Get answers to your questions about Chiba