We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo & Magome|Tsumago & Kurobe Gorge

5 posts
Tokyo & Magome|Tsumago & Kurobe Gorge

Hi. I will be travelling with my family (wife & 2 teenagers) to Japan for 7 days. Arriving Tokyo (Haneda) early morning on 16 November and hoping to cover mainly two areas 1. Magome to Tsumago Trail and 2. the Kurobe Gorge train area (not in any particular order). We would like to stay overnight in these areas and have time to explore. I know the Tateyama Alpine Route is closed after Nov15 (we'll have to save that for another trip). Would anyone be able to suggest a good itinerary for the seven days?

4 replies to this topic
Tsukuba, Japan
Level Contributor
9,387 posts
313 reviews
1. Re: Tokyo & Magome|Tsumago & Kurobe Gorge

Day 1 Tokyo:

Day 2 Tokyo:

Day 3 Kurobe Gorge:

Take Hokuriku Shinkansen ”Hakutaka" Superexpress from JR Tokyo to JR Kurobe-Unaduki Onsen (@140 min.). Walk to Shin-Kurobe Station of Toyama Chiho Railway trains and take it to Unazuki Onsen Station and stay there.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7575.html

Day 4 Kurobe Gorge to Kiso Valley:

Kurobe Gorge in the morning.

Return to JR Kurobe-Unaduki Onsen Station, take Hokuriku Shinkansen "Hakutaka" to JR Nagano(@50 min.), transfer to JR Limited Express "Wide View Shinano" to JR Nakatsugawa(@130 min.; if you go to Magome) or JR Nagiso(@115 min.; if you stay at Tsumago). Take a Bus to Magome or Tsumago from JR Nakatsugawa or JR Nagiso. Here is the timetable of the Bus.

https://www.japan-guide.com/bus/kiso.html

Day 5 Kiso Valley to Tokyo:

Hiking at Kiso Valley in the morning.

Take a Bus to JR Nakatsugawa or JR Nagiso and take JR Limited Express "Wide View Shinano" to JR Nagoya(@60-80 min.), transfer to JR Tokaido Shinkansen to JR Tokyo (@100 min.).

Day 6 Tokyo

Day 7 Fly back to your country.

5 posts
2. Re: Tokyo & Magome|Tsumago & Kurobe Gorge

Thank you Mabei for the wonderful reply.

I had some concern about visiting Toyoma and Kurobe area so late in the year. I've just read some posts about bad weather and transport delays in the late November period in this region. If so, I would rather save Kurobe for a another trip , perhaps in Spring/summer instead.

SO if I do skip Kurobe, is there an alternative 7 day itinerary around the Kiso vallery |Nagoya area to consider instead? The trail can be done in a few hours and even if I stay in Magome or Tsumago before and after the trail, there would still be a few days free. I have been to Osaka and Kyoto region before and wish to explore Gifu or Nagoya region instead on this trip.

I forgot to mention that I will , at the end of the seven days, return to Tokyo for a Further 4 days (total 11 days in Japan). So I would have seven full days available to tour before Tokyo. Thank you in advance.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tohoku, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
3. Re: Tokyo & Magome|Tsumago & Kurobe Gorge

Mid Nov is a bit late for autumn foliage in Kurobe Gorge (early Nov is normally a better time), doubtful whether it is worth going all the way there during your time of visit.

If koyo is a prime objective mid Nov is good for the Fuji Five Lakes region and Shosenkyo Gorge. It would be nice if a few days can be spent in Yamanashi Prefecture to take in some beautiful autumn colour.

5 posts
4. Re: Tokyo & Magome|Tsumago & Kurobe Gorge

Thank you for your suggestion ! will certainly explore the good alternative...

Reply to: Tokyo & Magome|Tsumago & Kurobe Gorge
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted