We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??

Is it safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An at night on a motorbike ? I am planning to see the Dragon breathing Fire in Danang on Saturday and return back to my hotel in Hoi An. But as the dragon show happens at 9 pm so would it be safe to travel to Hoi An from Da Nang after 10 pm. Kindly suggest. I would be in Hoi An from 2-5 Nov 2018.

21 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
650 posts
18 reviews
1. Re: Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??

It’s safe to travel at night but not recommend for tourists riding own motorbikes. Go with a grab bike or taxi.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??

Don't drive at night. Just don't. At least not in rural areas.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??

I am very comfortable driving a motorbike coming from a country that has similar chaotic driving situation as in Vietnam but I am just worried if any mugging happens or anti-social elements wander enroute Da Nang to Hoi An at night.

Level Contributor
650 posts
18 reviews
4. Re: Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??

I do believe your skills. Do you speak Vietnamese?

What are you going to do if you have an accident, flat tire, mechanical failure, whatever......on the dark, empty road at night? Your skills won’t be effective as day time.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
12 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??

Point taken !! So be kind enough to split my 3 days I have kept for Da Nang - Hoi An. So that I can enjoy the best of both of them. And would it be raining too much in the first week of November.

Level Contributor
650 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??

Keep Saturday night in Da Nang if you may to do so..... as far as my previous second week of November in Da Nang, it occasionally rained and sunshined. But it didn’t bother me at all.

Tarentum...
Destination Expert
for Da Nang, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
Level Contributor
3,197 posts
212 reviews
7. Re: Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??

Driving at night is not recommended any where in VietNam but,,,,,,,,, consider staying in DaNang overnight. Lots of options nearby. Don’t forget Dirty Chicken for dinner, one of my favorite eating haunts near by.

Bathurst, Australia
Level Contributor
21 posts
131 reviews
8. Re: Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??

Dude. Unless you have a Vietnamese driver's licence, if you have an accident, you are in serious trouble. For one thing, you will have to pay for any damage to person/s and or property, if you are found to be at fault. In addition, NO travel insurance policy in the world will cover you for anything as you are required by the T's and C's of all insurance policies to obey local law (which means no driving without a Vietnamese licence). The renters of these bikes and vehicles are, similar to the EU, not required to ensure you are licenced, this is your responsibility. See here: https:/…Driving_in_Vietnam.html.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??

"For one thing, you will have to pay for any damage to person/s and or property, if you are found to be at fault."

You WILL be at fault, because you're the foreigner. Don't count on what you'd consider justice in Vietnam. Not for you, not for the Vietnamese.

Edited: 14 October 2018, 11:06
Manila, Philippines
4 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??

You could end up in a bucket full of trouble ...as others have said ...forget it !!

Reply to: Safe to travel from Da Nang to Hoi An ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted