We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hoi An Tailors -- Warning ---

Paradise Island...
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Hoi An Tailors -- Warning ---

I used two tailors this week in HOI AN and both were negative experiences.

1 : CHEN

- had to go back 7 times to get jacket fixed.. they kept trying to flog it off on me half done. bad quality and waste of time.

2: Kimmy tailor same as above except they lied more and wheere even more RUDE after they got my money.

SKIP CHEN AND KIMMY TAILOR...

try somebody else in HOI AN.... or better yet do your tailoring in another town!.. there's tailors everywhere and it seems they are just lazy in HOI AN now because they know somebody esle will walk through the door in 5 mins.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Paradise Island...
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hoi An Tailors -- Warning ---

UPDATE---

Ok I found a really good tailor with the help of a local friend here.

These guys speak almost NO English, and dont have the fabrics you have to go and buy your own.. BUT it works out way cheeper to do it and i found that part quite fun. there are a few WELL priced fabric stores on the edge of town towards Danang,

this place is a bit hard to find. its around the corner from "streets" resaurant.

the sign is actaully in the shop.. it looks like they basicly are a tailor for the tailor shops... they dont do much retail.

their work is excellent tho and CHEEP. I paid 25$ for a jacket that the others wanted 35-45$ for, and the quality is far superior.

the name of the place is:

T.Hung

the address is 55 phan chu trinh Hoi An

good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
vietnam
Destination Expert
for Nha Trang
Level Contributor
6,519 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hoi An Tailors -- Warning ---

Thanks for that.Always good to know these things.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,732 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hoi An Tailors -- Warning ---

mmmm........... lots of posts and lots of negatives about various places! Some even quite some way away. Vietnam, Ethiopia, Vietnam.

Might help i suppose to read the reviews before you go.....

As you say....good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Paradise Island...
Level Contributor
28 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hoi An Tailors -- Warning ---

Sorry I travel to discover things for myself, So sitting on the internet reading forums all day about places before i go Is not one of the things i spend alot of time doing... Ill take the good with the bad.

Europe
Level Contributor
870 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hoi An Tailors -- Warning ---

My sentiments exactly, 69bertie.

6. Re: Hoi An Tailors -- Warning ---

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 September 2010, 23:05
Johnston, IA
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hoi An Tailors -- Warning ---

Hello,

I am planning on visiting Hoi An next year and have already began to save up, I have a few questions, first the tailor you mentioned, would you recommend him for women's clothes, second what would a general guide line for fabric and clothes prices be, and last do you have a phone number or other methode of contacting said tailor? I really appreciate all the excellent advice you have given and continue to give.

Thank you,

Katerina

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,823 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hoi An Tailors -- Warning ---

The chances of your getting a reply from the OP after 10 months is minimal. If you really want a reply from that particular person use the send a message section on his/her home page (click on the name of the person to get there).

I would note that if s/he says they speak minimal English then the chances of your having a useful telephone conversation with them is somewhere between nil and none.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,984 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hoi An Tailors -- Warning ---

You only get what you pay for.

If you go to a tailor which is little stall, you will get a very bad quality product.

If you go to a shop like Yaly's you will get a superp qulaity product.

I too have been sucked in by these little stalls, with the clothes displayed at the front.

The clothes look good, but this is not what you get.

Vietnam
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hoi An Tailors -- Warning ---

excellent and cheap is not come along!