We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoe makers in Hoi An - any good?

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Shoe makers in Hoi An - any good?

I read in Lonely Planet that as well as a multitude of tailors in Hoi An, you can also get custom made shoes. Has anyone had these? Were they any good? Do you take pictures of the design you want?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
86 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoe makers in Hoi An - any good?

Shoe makers are pretty hopeless. We had 8 pairs made. They varied from $15 for kids shoes to $55 for a pair of leather boots. None had any cusioning in the soles. Most have had problems after a wear or two. Sole comes off, stitching comes loose or heal snaps off. My wife is fussy and we needed all of our 6 days to sort out the issues. Witnessed many people leaving with shoes that they were less than happy with because they had simply run out of time to get the corrections done.

Spend your money on other things.

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoe makers in Hoi An - any good?

Thanks for that info. I'll certainly give them a miss then and get something here before we go.

Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
87 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoe makers in Hoi An - any good?

I've had plenty of shoes made in Vietnam and all have been very high quality. I can also add that I have never had any made in Hoi An though. I have also never paid anywhere near what Ozzie has.

Ballina
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoe makers in Hoi An - any good?

Hi, Had some knee high boots made a couple of years ago when in Hoi An. Paid About $35 US. Really disappointed ... they looked 'home made' and were so uncomfortable I gave them to a charity shop without ever wearing them. When measuring my feet they took the exact outline and didn't leave any room for comfort hence they were too tight.

Brisbane, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoe makers in Hoi An - any good?

Hi

No problem with our shoe maker in Hoi An. We are going to get some more shoes made this trip in March. If you also want a tailor, go to Hong Cloth shop 49 Hoang Dieu St, Hoi An, great people. The shoe shop is a couple of shops up the road from them, (just ask the Hong's for which shoe shop it is). We love Hoi An.

Regards'

Kim & Stephen

6. Re: Shoe makers in Hoi An - any good?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2010, 11:47