We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Upgrades"

East Midlands
Level Contributor
111 posts
30 reviews
"Upgrades"

Just curious really - how is it that some people get upgraded, do you think? Sadly it has never happened to us! Are people forthright and ask? Do they complain about something? So many reviews talk about "being upgraded", it's just made me wonder.....

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: "Upgrades"

I'm sure it just depends on room availability or if you are members of a hotel loyalty scheme. I would never dream of asking for a free upgrade, but it might work for some people!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,967 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: "Upgrades"

Do you mean in hotels or on flights?

On flights any available upgrades will be given first of all to frequent flyers, the higher level membership you have with the airline's FF programme, the greater your chances of upgrade.

In hotels, not sure really. I'm sure it will help if you are a regular or returning guest. I've been upgraded lots of times for no apparent reason but it helps if you are there for a special occasion like a birthday or anniversary. If you are then drop them an email in advance to let them know. Informing them also gives them the chance to do something nice for you like provide a cake, wine etc.

East Midlands
Level Contributor
111 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: "Upgrades"

Thanks for your replies. Yes I meant hotels, airlines seem to follow a system. I agree York, I wouldn't ask for one but I would love to be offered one : ). We are in a loyalty scheme with Hilton but it doesn't seem to carry much weight even though we are gold members, we just accumulate points toward the next holiday.

Edited: 24 August 2016, 01:43
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
11,967 posts
77 reviews
4. Re: "Upgrades"

You just reminded me of the one time I was upgraded due to being a hotel loyalty scheme member and it was actually with Hilton.

I was a gold member (which I'd been upgraded to and not earned) and was from upgraded from a standard room to a big suite with club facilities in Chicago. Unexpected and very nice. That's the only time it happened, though but I'd live in hope if I was still a member.

East Midlands
Level Contributor
111 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: "Upgrades"

How lovely! Will keep my fingers crossed for us both on future journeys!

Level Contributor
67 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: "Upgrades"

We visited RAK in May and had simply booked a standard room. We flew overnight so arrived at the hotel quite early and check in wasn't for a few hours. They sent us off for breakfast and told us they would ring as soon as a room became available. We received a call about half an hour later and were told we had been upgraded free of charge to a premium room. I think it was simply that they didn't want us hanging around but we most definitely didn't ask for it.

East Midlands
Level Contributor
111 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: "Upgrades"

How nice, especially after a night flight. Less than 30 days until we go again and I don't care if I am given the smallest room in the place - just can't wait for some sun and relaxation.

Level Contributor
24 posts
8. Re: "Upgrades"

It depends on their loyalty points and airline flying miles. You have to fly the same airlines over and over again, or stay at the Same hotel to be eligible for those upgrades. Or if you are a 'special' case, like extremely sick or not comfortable due to some situation which the airlines cannot 'fix', they upgrade you - but only if there are seats available and the captain approves. :)

9. Re: "Upgrades"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2017, 09:45
Get answers to your questions about Ras Al Khaimah