We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News

North Wales
Level Contributor
624 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News

To all our Turkish friends I apologize for the stupid British press who try to sell more rags by making up stories which are totally untrue. This week the Sun and Mirror are warning of terrorist gunmen on the beaches in Turkey. They say that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office have advised British citizens to stay away from Turkey. NO THEY HAVEN'T!!! In 2 weeks time there is a Turkish General Election and the FCO have advised against attending mass political rallies in Ankara and Istanbul. Turkey is safe and we will be joining the millions of happy holidaymakers in 3 weeks!!! Rant over.

Paul & Rose

16 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
520 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News

Well said, I will be in Dalyan in 4 weeks, so excited to be going back for a few weeks

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,245 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News

Yes, well said,

Edited: 09 June 2018, 16:05
Derby, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
1,905 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News

Totally agree Paul & Rose, it angers me when they sensationalise these stories and scare people off visiting a beautiful country. As things are in the world, there is a risk of terrorism absolutely anywhere, but I feel safer in Marmaris than in big cities in UK. The advice given by The Foreign Office is standard when there are elections abroad. Now we are visiting our in-laws in the south-east of Turkey after the election and there is more of a risk of issues there (Not necessarily terrorism), but we (well I will, can't guarantee my husband will lol) will just use common sense and not attend areas where there are demonstrations, etc. Just wish people would use their own common sense when reading these stories, but sadly too many are swayed by our lying media!!! My rant over now too 😂

Heather

Level Contributor
169 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News

It’s absolutely typical of the British Press, not letting facts get in the way of a story they think will sell newspapers,

Let’s not forget we currently have widespread gun and knife crime on the streets of our capital, and beyond, recently had the one year anniversary of several terrorist attacks on our streets,

Yet we have the tabloids (or gutter press) sensationalising a situation in another country to suit their own agenda,

If anyone wants to holiday in an area that is 100% safe, good luck with finding that place in the world in which we live,

I hope people will make their own minds up, and wherever they decide to holiday, they have a fantastic time, and safe of course,

I’m way passed the stage of hoping for fair and balanced reporting from these “journalists”

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News

We're in Dalyan in 2 weeks time, can't wait, as for terrorism, well be just as vigilant as we are in our home town. But It wont stop us going or enjoying ourselves. Only downfall no booze on election day. (but we can live with that)

aberdeen
Level Contributor
931 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News

roy I have been informed the hotels and restaurants will be selling alcohol on election day. that has come from someone who lives there all year and knows the industry. now it might be wrong but can they afford not too?

Poole, United...
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
7,503 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News

Hi Paul and Rose,

Exactly, well said.

What makes me laugh is that they think we might want to join in with a Turkish political rally in the first place.

We don’t do rallies even at home.

Peter & Jean. :o)

hull england
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
4,898 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News

Peter i don,t think its a case of joining in a rally which usually take place around the fountain or the statue area which are places we all walk past.

It,s more a case of being in the wrong place if something does happen the Turkish people tend to be more shall we say more boisterous than we are and people can easily get drawn into situation they should not be in not by choice

hullman

Edited: 09 June 2018, 21:21
Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
413 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News

my mum seen this and she’s had to tell me. she will panic the whole time i’m there. i told her it’s all made up but it won’t stop her worrying. wish they would stop it.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,936 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News

Well said. We've been going to Side, twice yearly, since May 2012 & have booked hols thru to Oct 2019. We've also toured middle/west Turkey. We've no intention if changing our travel arrangenents until/unless the foreign office advise it.

The press is pathetic.

Reply to: Don't Be Drawn In By Fake News
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted