We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which network is best for Turkey

North Wales
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Which network is best for Turkey

Can anyone help me with this, Our teenage Daughter want's to take her mobile with her on holiday, I thought she should change her sim for pay as you go but not sure what network to use for best value. thanks all

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,423 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which network is best for Turkey

They are all VERY EXPENSIVE - well over £1 per minute. Invest in a phone card and use that whilst over there, otherwise she/you will be facing a very hefty bill upon your return. Even texting alone will soon run up a substantial bill.

London, United...
Level Contributor
562 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which network is best for Turkey

Hi Shirl111

Have to agree with luddendenturk, I took my pay and go (o2) mobile with me a couple of weeks ago and got through loads of credit and that was just texting, I didn't even make a phone call. My son bought a pre-paid phone card last year when he was in Turkey, works out much cheaper. And you know what teenagers are like with their mobiles. As you are going to the Letoonia, your Daughter could always use the internet room and let her chat to friends on Facebook and that would cost absolutely NOTHING!! (although there is supposed to be an over 16 rule to use the room). Just an idea.

John (finkfloydman)

North Wales
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which network is best for Turkey

thanks to you both for the reply's I have given your comments to our daughter and she has decided to just use her I-pod for facebook, she will be 16 next week so she will be able to use the internet at Letoonia if she can get on it, last year it was always busy, But i dont think 2 weeks without texting is a bad thing at least her fingers will get a rest,

manchester
Level Contributor
418 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which network is best for Turkey

Hi can you tell me as an absolute technological idiot how this works?

My son has a pay as you go- how does the phone card work- how much are they and where doyou get them from? Are they suitable for all phones?

many thanks

Viola

Bodrum City, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Gumbet
Level Contributor
5,708 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which network is best for Turkey

The phone cards are for Turkish telephone booths and are cheaper than using a mobile. If you have an unlocked phone, try Googling Sim2go. You can buy a SIM card from them which is a lot cheaper than using a networkcard. It costs about 12p per minute to phone the UK from Turkey. You can ring him on the number as well from the UK and it costs about 10p per minute and there isno charge for him to receive the call as there is with UK networks.

Jak xx

Scotland
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which network is best for Turkey

Second the large bill using a pay and go, I arrived home to a huge bill on O2 and was only using it for texting.

Dumfries and...
Level Contributor
404 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which network is best for Turkey

Hi

PLEASE remember to turn "data Roaming" OFF on your phone before you travel as leaving it turned on can run up huge bills without you realising (I know - I was there!). Data roaming automatically connects to the nearest available network when using email, web browsing and other services and will not warn you which network you are using. I think it is usually found in your phones "settings" menu under "Network Settings"

Also turn off your voicemail box as you will be charged for any calls which are sent to it!!

Best of all leave the damned thing at home - You're on holiday ;-)

PS

There are so many WiFi ouitlets around that contacting friends, family etc. is so easy if you have WiFi phone or laptop - stop at a bar/restaurat buy a beer or coffee and ask and they'll let you connect for free usually.

Enjoy

Edited: 07 May 2011, 18:37
8. Re: Which network is best for Turkey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 23:48
Get answers to your questions about Fethiye
Recent Conversations