We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most of a Day in and around Fethiye

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Topic
Most of a Day in and around Fethiye

We recently came back to Nicea and then to Istanbul when the weather turned. We should have checked with FF beforehand, i guess.

I thought, i would share part of my trip report, which included Karine, Dogubey, Gumbet, Gocek and Fethiye. The whole thing is too long and hopefully will find its way into my new book after much editing.

Hope you enjoy reading it as much as i enjoyed writing.

----The day dawned (became 8:30AM) beautifully. Terrific service at open buffet breakfast. I am not joking, there were three waiters competing with each other at bringing more tea and coffee to fill our cups and all of them remembering which one of us preferred which caffeine. (Ece Saray)

being the older member of the family (slightly, as you can tell from our profile photo) I got to choose the morning program. Off we went to Tlos, on a hill, watching snow capped mountains in the horizon, and parked quite close to a very friendly well-fed cow and one rooster with his current mate, who were not interested in us as much as the cow was.

There were two sections separated by a fence, a narrow goat path and further up towards a low hill, a ticket booth. We decided that;

a) the ruins on the hill photographed better from a distance, since we had an 18-250 lense which cost us about $500.

b) it was getting late and Eser needed to swim.

c) i was getting hungry and the three cafes all looked rather poorly.

As a result of some very quick decision making, we drove to Olu Deniz of the famed lagoon. The public beach was quite empty and looked fine, although a busybody mayor had had the bean bags removed some weeks earlier, possibly to reduce the amount of smooching on the beach. The lounge chairs, being all sharp corners, sort of takes the fun out of some sorts of activity, if i remember correctly from my younger days.

We assumed wrongly that the paid national park which had both lagoon side and seaside beaches would also be rather empty. We paid our $10, drove in to park, walked possibly 500 meters (although the gatekeeper had told us 300), and first saw that the lagoon beach was packed with screaming children and their screaming chaperones, with no danger of enough of them drowning within the next few minutes, because the water was very shallow. So, we walked further towards the seaside beach and the food emporium next to it, which looked rather splendid from the distance. Unfortunately, this was as bad or worse. There were only sandwiches in stale bread, soggy fries and a line which refused to move, consisting of playfull young couples who were trying to make up what they missed on the public beach while waiting for their other inedibles.

The only sort-of-semi-clean table i found was in the midst of a large group of tourists from a neighboring country who were each at least twice my size and could communicate in the upper decibel ranges befitting a good Italian tenor, but they were not singing.

Eser immediately left to change and swim, i ate a huge cold stale chicken doner and some soggy fries, sharing it with two picky ducks, one rooster and two hens who were not picky and four feral cats, who were all afraid of the ducks and the rooster.........

Mentioned in this post
Gumbet
Gumbet
Bodrum, Turkey
Gocek
Gocek
Mugla Province, Turkey
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Ece Boutique Hotel
Ece Boutique Hotel
140 Reviews
Fethiye, Turkey
Tlos
Tlos
655 Reviews
Fethiye, Turkey
Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most of a Day in and around Fethiye

otherchelebi - Let us know when the book is finished, and give me a bit of warning for your next visit so we can arrange something, I'm even willing to rough it a bit in Gocek......

Season begins earlier each year - Try January next time it was nice and quiet, and weather was pretty good.

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Most of a Day in and around Fethiye

FF, January is the beginning of everything, even in Fethiye. You're right, you and others need enough warning to rush out.

Gocek was a stopover to meet Dudisimo, who showed me some real Turkish hospitality, despite the fact that we have similar backgrounds in insurance/reinsurance.

I m already very disheartened regarding publishing my trips. You were the only person who read this post. On the other hand, my wife posted 43 photographs from Karine and Dogabey on webshots yesterday night and by this evening they were viewed 107 times.

I guess, i should invest in Eser's photography rather than my writing, especially since the owner of a bookshop in Istanbul asked me today if Eser would be interested in having an exhibition of some of her photographs upstairs in their shop. In six months she could sell only two copies of my book. Now we will know for sure whether quality and style sells or pesonality and physique, if Eser sells more than two photographs.

Mentioned in this post
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Gocek
Gocek
Mugla Province, Turkey
3. Re: Most of a Day in and around Fethiye

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 04:48
Get answers to your questions about Fethiye
Recent Conversations