We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pounds, Euros or Lira

Devon
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Pounds, Euros or Lira

Travelling to Side in a week's time and wondering what currency it is best to take. Last year in Fethiye it seemed to be best to pay in pounds for most things.

Do you get a better exchange rate in resort or in Uk?

Dave

East Sussex
Level Contributor
314 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pounds, Euros or Lira

Hi daveb60 I am out on the 9th also. I always take pounds and change in resort as normally always find the best rates are there.

However some people have mentioned they have got good deals in the UK recently so may be worth checking it out.

Side is different to Fethiye, Kalkan, Kas etc where they seem to relate more to GPB Side lends more towards Euros, but none is ever a problem.

Have a fab time

Michelle

Devon
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pounds, Euros or Lira

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the info - we were there about five years and I counldn't remember which was the best option - just that lots of Germans around so I can understand why the euro is popular. we go out on the 8th.

Dave

london
Level Contributor
37 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pounds, Euros or Lira

came back last week ..took a little bit of lira for the airport and tipping but majority of people liked our £10 notes ( weird ! ) exchange rate was 2.84 out there so try and change in resort x

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pounds, Euros or Lira

I think you get the best rate by taking pounds and changing to lira in the bank (proper bank, not agencies) we got almost as good a rate from the ATM's (last week) but you pay about £3.50 in commision per withdrawl, so get the most you can at each go.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pounds, Euros or Lira

oh. we got 2.94 fromt he atm 10 days ago, but last week it was down to 2.85

Devon
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pounds, Euros or Lira

Thanks everyone - I'll be taking mostly pounds with about £100 in lira after reading your response. Dave

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pounds, Euros or Lira

hi

im goin to a place called colakli on tuesday which is near side and been told to go into manavgat to change my money im confused .in marks n spencer im gettin 271 which i thought was good but not exchanged it yet do you think i should wait n get them over there

Devon
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pounds, Euros or Lira

Hi Angie, From reading the answers to my post and checking through some earlier ones the best option seems to be to take sterling and change in the banks over there for the best exchange rate without paying charges. I'm just taking about £100 in lira and plenty of pounds - will use ATM if I run out, but try to only use it once to minimise charges. Hope this helps, Dave

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,151 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pounds, Euros or Lira

Hello Angıe - you donit need to go as far as Manavgat to change money ıf you are stayıng ın Colaklı - change ıt there - even your hotel receptıon wıll gıve you a good rate - brıng UK Pounds cash and change to Turkish Lıre here when you arrıve.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pounds, Euros or Lira

Hi just back from side changed money with travelex on line and picked up at airport got 2.82 lira with them , when we got out there no one was interested in lira they all wanted euro. when ever i tried to use lira they all asked if i had euro, even tips in lira were not frowned upon.