We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side market

6 posts
Side market

Just a thumbs up for market. There is a cafe in the middle with a lovely water fountain. Very expensivec charged us 40 lira for a water and orange juice.

11 replies to this topic
Woking, United...
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
93 reviews
1. Re: Side market

Oh dear Shirley! You got well and truly ripped off at that restaurant at the Side Saturday Market. Didn't you know that you should always ask the price first - both in restaurants, shops and with taxis? Also, be aware of ordering fish at any Side restaurant as it can be very very expensive. The price shown is per kilo and it is all done on weight, so again ... ask before ordering ... x Angela x

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,986 posts
184 reviews
2. Re: Side market

Sorry to hear about your experience, Shirley. You live & Learn.

If you go around that area again, I recommend walking further along the road, with the market on your left, mosque opposite, on your right. Walk towards the Red Lion pub & turn right into 1003 Sokak (road name). About half way down, on the right, is Doruk Pastanesi. This café serves savoury & sweet, with a wide selection of hot & cold drinks. The menu is on display. The pastries & cakes are legendary. Service is good, facilities are clean. We always pop in, on our last day (as well as several times during our stay) & get some boxed baklava wrapped heavily in cling film, for the journey home. We also bring some for our elder son as he is one of our cat sitters during our holidays.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 15:53
3. Re: Side market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2018, 22:24

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: Side market

Yes - my mistake - thanks for pointing it out Janisem x Angela x

6 posts
5. Re: Side market

Thanks angela. We live n learn. He appeared not to speak english until pay time. But if he looses business from this its all good. Karma !!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Side market

Hi Shirley yes i also visited the same cafe in side market the cafe by the water fountain feature the same guy charged me 80 lira for 3 soft drinks he got very impatient and bad tempered when i queried the price he is not the best advert for the Turkish tourist board.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7. Re: Side market

Is the Side Market near the greek amphitheatre and temple of apollo. Thinking of heading out and would be good to see all off that on one trip out today.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
830 posts
25 reviews
8. Re: Side market

No, it’s not in the Old Town. It’s up past the Red Lion tight opposite the big mosque. It’s walkable from there along the main road, but best to catch a dolmus, g old half an hour or longer to walk it.

ESSEX ENGLAND
Level Contributor
90 posts
16 reviews
9. Re: Side market

We got ripped off by the cafe on the right hand side of the market,9 euros for 3 coffees served in dirty cups and sitting on lovely rusty chairs,that was last year ,so last week we thought sod it forget the market for a drink and walked up to doruk,3 lovely coffees and baclava for half the price! Ripp off side market can keep there drinks.lyn

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,986 posts
184 reviews
10. Re: Side market

Exactly what I suggested in reply 2 🙂

Glad you found it Lyn.

That market café is always busy, crowded & I wonder about the cleanliness. We find it stuffy & hot down that end. Captive audience, so they take the proverbial.

Reply to: Side market
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted