We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopkeepers

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Shopkeepers

In Alanya now, and fed up of the pestering shopkeepers. The only person I’ve bought from so far was a lovely lady at the castle. She never once hounded me - just invited me inside and let me browse.

Is there a sure fire way of having these pesky shopkeepers leave me alone?

Alanya is lovely but the shopkeepers spoil it for me.

10 replies to this topic
Turkish...
Level Contributor
240 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Shopkeepers

Just don't answer for theirs call. If they are too harrasing you can report them to the police and they will have control. It is forbidden for them to push tourists too much.

Alanya, Turkey
Level Contributor
619 posts
59 reviews
2. Re: Shopkeepers

II just walk past and smile raise my arm and say no thank you.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: Shopkeepers

Don't speak or acknowledge them. If they are pestering you it is illegal and they know it.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
37 reviews
4. Re: Shopkeepers

I know where you are coming from, it is the same for me. I know they are just trying to earn a living but it can get very overwhelming if you are walking that route a few times, we took to walking into the town centre via the beach.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Shopkeepers

Thank you - it works!

Maybe someone could invent a spray tp deter them?

Alanya, Turkey
Level Contributor
619 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: Shopkeepers

I never put myself out of the way. I do not need shopping, I normally walk by the kerb on the opposite side of the road to most shops. Tim has already stated it is Illegal. I am there to enjoy myself and if you have a bit of Banter with the locals, which I do, most will remember you but do not go into the shops. Be polite you are a guest in their Country. Put yourselves in their shoes if you worked in retail which I did. You will not see Brits sitting outside trying to usher you Into Poundland, Charity Shops etc. or any Shop. Not even the local Turkish Barber which I use once in a while.

Middlesbrough...
Level Contributor
367 posts
59 reviews
7. Re: Shopkeepers

Been going to this area for the past 12 years twice a year and never had any issues at all. Lots of hellos, good morning, good evening but one of what toy describe.

Alanya, Turkey
Level Contributor
619 posts
59 reviews
8. Re: Shopkeepers

Hi Megg092. I too have never had any problems with shopkeepers. Wed 15th August will be back in Alanya again. Side in May and Marmaris in April and June and going back to Marmaris September. The banter you have with the local shop keeper is part of your holiday. I am a single traveller and enjoy the morning walks past these friendly people.

Midlothian, United...
Destination Expert
for Icmeler
Level Contributor
5,223 posts
214 reviews
9. Re: Shopkeepers

Same here - we didn't find hassle to be a problem in Alanya either. I am always polite and friendly and find even a few words of Turkish helps too.

Alanya, Turkey
Level Contributor
619 posts
59 reviews
10. Re: Shopkeepers

Merhaba, Tersikular. I do try

Edited: 10 August 2018, 23:22
Reply to: Shopkeepers
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alanya
Recent Conversations