We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

London, United...
Level Contributor
476 posts
169 reviews
Save Topic
Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

I am wondering if it's possible to drive from goreme to either nemrut dagi/andiaman or kahta (how long would it take?) & then on to urfa, harran, mardin, midyat & fly out of Diyarbakir.  I only have 4 days for that part of my trip.  Are you able to advise me on whether it will be long enough?

Grateful for your advice. 

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

I would join a 2 night/3days Urfa, Harran, Kahta Mt. NEmrut tour from 1 of the local agencies in Goreme or Urgup. Because it's safer, cheaper & with like minded travelers, it's quite fun...

London, United...
Level Contributor
476 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

Thanks for the suggestion. I shall bear it in mind but I am not keen on group tours because there isnt enough freedom to stop (I am a photographer). So, do you think I have allowed enough time to drive from Goreme, see Mt Nemrut on the first evening, the next day drive to Urfa, visit Abrahams Pool, Bazaar (is that every day?), on to Harran, then Mardin and Midyat and flying out of Diyarbakir?

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

Goreme to Kahta is about 580km, it took me 10 hours altogether to drive it. You'll need to start early if you want to catch the evening sunset at Nemrut. Then it's 250km to Urfa, I went straight to Harran for a look before finding a hotel in Urfa, and then the pool there looks wonderful at sunset.

You should be able to do it all, maybe a little rushed. The only problem you might have is the cost of the car rental including drop-off in another city.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

I don't know the drive from Cappadocia to Kahta but from Kahta the roads between Urfa, Harran, Mardin are all very good. We've done a (flying to Mersin) Antakya, Gaziantep, Kahta, Harran, Urfa, Mardin in 5-6 days in a private tour in a bus. Another good tip is you can leave from Mardin airport with direct flights to Istanbul. Savur near Mardin was also an interesting little town with interesting stone architecture.

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,155 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

Hi thumbelina,

Gas is very expensive in Turkey, about 1.60 GBP/liter. However rental cars are very reasonably priced. You should rent an economy car, real stingy on gas. You should also get full collision coverage and drive carefully although the roads are good. Finally the best road map is "Turkey Euro Map by Geo Center" available from Amazon. The drop off charges will be substantial, especially because Diyarbakir is far away from Goreme. One car rental company you can try is Cizgi rent a car. 4 days is enough because there is less driving after Nemrut.

good luck,

enigma...

London, United...
Level Contributor
476 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

Yes, I know petrol is expensive. I know it won't be cheap but am hoping to find a driver to help.

Day 1 - Goreme to Nemrut Dagi (stay Kahta/Andiaman)

Day 2 - Drive Urfa, visit Ambraham's Pool & Bazaar & Harran. Stay Urfa

Day 3 - Drive Mardin. Visit Mardin & Midyat. Stay in either.

Day 4 - Drive Diyarbakir for flight 2pm to Izmir

Happy to accept suggestions because I have tried numerous ways and this seems the most logical (albeit an expensive one!).

Istanbul
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
38,155 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

Hi thumbelina,

Here's an interesting video of Turkey made by member jopos on a BMW motorbike. Somewhat different route, but still travelling on Turkish roads. Hope you like it. "www.lifeisjoy.nl/playmovie.php?v=zzhwq-KNwzM".

enigma...

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

I really need help! I am playing to visit my nemrut from cappadocia. So far I found a bus from Kayseri to malatya (5hour ride), but I have no idea how to get from Malatya to adiyaman. Pls if someone could help me with any information. What I know is that from adiyaman we would have to find another ride to go through karadut village, then walk up to mt Nermut. I really want to go there and my husband is getting tired of find it so difficult to get there from Cappadocia.

Edited: 11 June 2014, 21:13
9. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2015, 20:45