We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

London, United...
Level Contributor
544 posts
193 reviews
Save Topic
Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

I am wondering if it's possible to drive from goreme to either nemrut dagi/andiaman or kahta (how long would it take?) & then on to urfa, harran, mardin, midyat & fly out of Diyarbakir.  I only have 4 days for that part of my trip.  Are you able to advise me on whether it will be long enough?

Grateful for your advice. 

istanbul
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

I, as a well-traveled resident, would not drive this route alone or with my family, unless i had a local guide with me for security reasons.

In any case 4 days will be too short.

If you leave Adiyaman, Kahta, Nemrut out, you can do Mardin and Urfa, taking a longer route through Kahraman Maras and Gaziantep and flying back from Mardin.

i would prefer to fly to urfa or mardin even if it means you will be routed through istanbul or Ankara, and rent a car a the airport. This will give you at least three full days.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
7,897 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

You should take good note of OC's advice as to the safety of your plan - and also the time scale.

In your time scale, it may be more practica,l and safe, to join a 2-3 day Nemrut tour from Cappadocia area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
544 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

Thanks for your advice. What are your safety concerns?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
169 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

I would join a 2 night/3days Urfa, Harran, Kahta Mt. NEmrut tour from 1 of the local agencies in Goreme or Urgup bc it's safer, cheaper, easier...

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

Hello did you finally go for this tour? How was it?

London, United...
Level Contributor
544 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

I flew to Diyarbakir, drove to Hasankeyf, Midyat and Mardin (overnight). Day 2 - drove to Harran, Urfa (overnight). Day 3 - drove to Mt Nemrut and on to Gaziantep (overnight). Day 4 - on to Hatay. It was fine although we obviously didn't get to see the sunrise at Mt Nemrut. But at least it wasn't crowded! I have some photographs (mostly only of Cappadocia) because it rained heavily in Mardin etc. Happy travels.

http://nicolaphilippi.weebly.com/turkey.html

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

Was it safe to drive?

which period of the year did u go?

I ve planned to go in August and just wondering if it is too hot...

thx a lot

London, United...
Level Contributor
544 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

It looked ok to me but I did have a driver. Locals would be able to advise you on whether it's safe because the political situation changes frequently. I went in April and it was perfect. I imagine summer would be very hot.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

Summer would be extremely hot regularly between 40-50c.

Other than that it is a beautiful region of the world to visit, tour, drive, walk....

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cappadocia to nemrut dagi/urfa/mardin

Do u think it is safe a self drive from mardin to cappadocia?

in 4days.

mardin urfa nemrut dagi goreme

for the high temperature I hope carvair condition will help...