We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tunisian gold jewellery

liverpool
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
tunisian gold jewellery

hi can anyone help were going to el kantoui in february and want to buy babys gold earrings can anyone reccomend anywere plus is the gold good etc many thanx bez

Wiltshire
Destination Expert
for Sousse, Port El Kantaoui
Level Contributor
2,093 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tunisian gold jewellery

You have to be careful about the "gold" in Tunisia. Plenty of low grade stuff if gold at all. There is a gold standard that has gold marks advertised in the shop. They will weigh the piece to arrive at a price.

There are shops around the marina at El Kantaoui. There is a Government fixed price shop at the entrance to the Sousse Madina. The Soula centre plenty of jewelry in there. It is a 7 denar ride from Kantaoui. Always make sure the taxi has its meter on before you start out.Or haggle a price.

Windsor, United...
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tunisian gold jewellery

I agree with the previous reply. You do need to be careful , and good gold will be hallmarked and is sold by weight.

There is a very good shop in the port, can't get my bearing in my mind to expain where it is too weill, but it is down on the marina bit and around to one side and lays back slightly, you ncould miss it. I was introduced to this shop by a trustworthy local and have bought some good jewellry.

Nana

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: tunisian gold jewellery

The responses are as good as gold!!!!! The best buy is probably the one you make at home, since gold standards are not clear and as controlled for most tourists. Jewelry is mostly for fun and the quality can't be the same if you are saving 80% right. In other words you get what you pay for. Be safe and have a great time negotiating for things you like.

Marc

CHESTER
Destination Expert
for Marmaris
Level Contributor
6,486 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tunisian gold jewellery

I bought a bracelet from the Soula Centre in Sousse the first year I went,3 different colour gold plated on silver,when the gold wore off after a couple of times wearing it,it was metal underneath,not silver!!so dont believe what they tell you,I was charged £40 for this 13 years ago,not cheap.

TUNISIA
Level Contributor
71 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: tunisian gold jewellery

Hi,

The best place to buy the babys gold earrings will be in the gold market in the medina ( Sousse )or in Tunis' medina if you plan to go to Tunis.

There is a shop in Port el Kantaoui (it's located at about 2 or 300 meters on the left hand side when

you enter the marina which sells jewelleries.

Gold is stamped according to the international standards,it can be 9,or 18 carats.They sell it by weight and the price is fixed according to rate of gold in the market and according to the work of the item.You can ask for the guaranty from the shop.

Sunderland, United...
Level Contributor
534 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tunisian gold jewellery

hi

you need to go the gold souk in Sousse or a reputable jewellers.

I've bought gold before - from both and it's fine.

Go to a few and as the price of gold (mainly 18carat)per gram then can do a bit of a deal on it.

Tunisiamasd

7. Re: tunisian gold jewellery

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2009, 04:47
Get answers to your questions about Port El Kantaoui
Recent Conversations