We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe for family?

Exeter, United...
4 posts
Safe for family?

Hiya I’m looking to book a holiday for October with my husband and 2 children, we looked at Karon but there are mixed reviews? We want to be able to go and explore in the evening and be in a central

Location but worried Patong might be too like Magaluf and full of youngsters? We love travelling but haven’t done much with the kids. Looking for bars shops restaurants and markets etc!

14 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
26 reviews
1. Re: Safe for family?

You really won’t find much in Karon in terms of bars stores and restaurants compared to patong. Patong is a lot livelier but I was not a fan of it all. I would prefer to stay in smaller Karon and Kata.

Karon is a short tuk tuk ride from Patong though. Probably about 5-7 minutes or less. So you can have the tranquility of Karon but head into patong for entertainment.

I recommend staying at the Centara Grand. It’s a magical resort with several pools restaurants and a lazy river and it’s located right on the beach. Its a bit far from all the stores and everything so you’d have to taxi it to get anywhere but it’s a great resort for families.

Exeter, United...
4 posts
2. Re: Safe for family?

Thanks I probably should have mentioned my parents and in laws are coming with and my dad is a double amputee so won’t be about to get in a Tuk yuk lr a taxi easily so want to be within walking distance of things to keep us all busy!? X

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,626 posts
169 reviews
3. Re: Safe for family?

Blaze, this is the 2nd time in the last couple of days you've posted complete wrong information.

A tuk tuk from Patong to Karon does not take 5-7 minutes or less, just as hiring a longtail boat on Phi Phi for 6/7hrs does not cost 600-1200bt.

Beckie-tribble, Karon is perfectly safe for a family to visit for a holiday.. What exactly do you mean by saying you have seen mixed reviews, that make you question whether its safe or not ?. Even Patong is fine to visit for families, though I would suggest avoiding Bangla Rd, at night time

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
26 reviews
4. Re: Safe for family?

Jaynewcaslte, frankly I’m not going to waste my time in responding to you.

To the OP: Since your party is unable to take tuk tuk’s you can hop in a taxi or shuttle it over to patong for entertainment. Karon is not very far from Patong. Put in a google map search and the towns are minutes apart.

Karon as I mentioned earlier is much quieter than patong and is a good base to stay in Phuket. If you stay a bit further south in Kata and Kata noi than you’ll be much further from all that patong has to offer. Karon is perfectly fine imo. Not too far from patong but just far enough.

*Edit: Just realized you want to be within walking distance so for sure look for an excellent resort in patong and stay there not in Karon.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 03:34
Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,943 posts
1 review
5. Re: Safe for family?

Hi Beckie whilst Patong is the busiest place on Phuket it is nothing like Magaluf, if I was to hazard a guess at the average age of visitors I would say late 30s to mid 40s with a fair amount around my own age of 60.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
1 review
6. Re: Safe for family?

Paying is fun and safe for all ages, as long as you use your normal common sense as you do at home. Biggest problem will be the footpaths , not really wheel chair friendly. Most people I have seen push the chair on the road towards oncoming traffic.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
6,255 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Safe for family?

Have to agree with jaynewcastle, Blaze is giving inaccurate information here.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
26 reviews
8. Re: Safe for family?

Stevenl, other than my tuk tuk statement (which isnt even that inaccurate) in my post #1 all of the information I've given is accurate.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
878 posts
89 reviews
9. Re: Safe for family?

beckie.i have sent you a message here in patong forum.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: Safe for family?

Hi Beckie,

It’s perfectly safe for your family.

I’m heading back over on Tuesday and this will be our 3rd trip taking our children 6 & 8 we always travel with our parents too.

We stay in Patong at the Holiday Inn Resort.

The reason we stay there is because the resort is in an excellent location for our needs. It’s across the road from the beach, OTop markets are just behind the resort with bars and plenty of restaurants near by.

Patong is very lively and there is always something to do, that’s what we love about it.

Have a wonderful trip.

Jodie

Reply to: Safe for family?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Patong
Recent Conversations