We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting between Phuket and Krabi

Mountain View...
Level Contributor
197 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Getting between Phuket and Krabi

So, we'll be staying at the Hilton Phuket on Dec 22-26, then at the Sheraton Krabi from Dec 26-30, back to Phuket at the Millenium on Dec 30-Jan 1 (for NYE).

Can anyone recommend how best to be to Krabi and back? I do not want to rent a car and am not comfortable taking the public bus.

Would you recommend the ferry? Is it safe? I've heard that it can get overcrowded?

What about a taxi cab? That seems the least complicated. Can anyone comment on how much that might cost us?

bahrain
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting between Phuket and Krabi

hi

last time i was there i took mini bus for 2000baht for one way , regarding taxi i dont know, the trip duration is 2 1/2 to 3 hours

regard

muneer

2. Re: Getting between Phuket and Krabi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 August 2010, 15:35
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting between Phuket and Krabi

U can take ferry. It is the fastest way if you want to travel between both place. (unless u want to consider to take a flight).

U can take ferry frrom krabi-change boat at Phi Phi island - go to phuket. its around 1000bath.

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting between Phuket and Krabi

You are staying in high end accommodations so getting a car and driver sounds the way to go for just under US$100.

Also it does mean 'dorr to door' so you won't have to worry about baggage from when the porter collects from your room at the Phuket Hilton until the other delivers to your room at the Sheraton Krabi.

You will probably get a discount if you book both trips with the same people.

Edited: 02 August 2010, 17:44
Mountain View...
Level Contributor
197 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting between Phuket and Krabi

Thanks everyone. I had read about the ferry, but have also heard travel warnings, regarding the safety, as they tend to be very over-crowded. Can anyone comment on that?

Ao Nang, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,205 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting between Phuket and Krabi

Forget about the ferry ! It's not a safety concern, but a subject of convenience and time required. Hire a mini bus with driver. By ferry you require a taxi from the hotel to the pier, about 20-30 min drive at both ends. Transfer the ferry at Phi Phi (unless you board a ferry for Krabi town) and again a taxi from the pier to the hotel with all your luggage ! During low tide the ferry cannot get to shore at Ao Nang and you require a transfer to a longtail boat and walk some distance through knee deep water. Although the tide should be ok daytime on Dec. 26 and 30. This might be fun for backpackers.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
921 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting between Phuket and Krabi

Im looking at doing something similiar next year by car,

Is there anywhere worth staying for a night or two , half way between krabi and phuket, and if so what is it like in low season?

I did the ferry to phi phi and stayed for 2 nights this year before catching the ferry to phuket, but am going to give phi phi a miss next year.

And I was thinking if we drive between Krabi and Phuket, perhaps if there is somewhere nice , we could split the drive and stop for a night.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting between Phuket and Krabi

The trip is only 2hrs +/- and although the roads are all good and scenery ok I'm not sure that I would stay overnight enroute.

Perhaps a better option would be to take a leasurely drive to Khao Lak, also only about 2hrs and stay overnight there. From Khao Lak drive across to Krabi, once again only about a 2hr drive with great mountain scenery. After checking out Krabi, and hopefully staying a few days, return to Phuket via hwy4.

Roads are all good and reasonably well signposted. We have documented our travels through that area here... www.bobandjanette.com which should be of some assistance.

Happy & safe travels

Bob

9. Re: Getting between Phuket and Krabi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2011, 13:47