We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Chang Phuak - Daytip only

Level Contributor
24 posts
Khao Chang Phuak - Daytip only

Hi,

We would like to go to Khao Chang Phuak.

We plan to rent a van and go there, we plan to leave BKK around 3am.

Would it be possible to hike Khao Chang Phuak all the way to the peak, but we will also go down at the same day?

If yes, please kindly give advice on how should we plan the itinerary.

Things we need to bring. etc

Things we must keep in mind

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Khao Chang Phuak - Daytip only

Hi,

If you are referring to the highest point inThong Pha Phum national park do note that it is currently closed.

Level Contributor
24 posts
2. Re: Khao Chang Phuak - Daytip only

Oh.. best month to visit the place?

Also, can you suggest any mountain that we can hike to the peak and go down in 1 day?

Thanks

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Khao Chang Phuak - Daytip only

Hi,

Usually the best time to visit is between November and March. However, last year the path up to the peak opened later than usual due to heavy rains. This year it closed early because of environmental issues, damage to the footpath apparently. You could do some easy hiking in some of the other parks, nothing to difficult though. What time of the year do you plan to visit Thailand?

Level Contributor
24 posts
4. Re: Khao Chang Phuak - Daytip only

Hi AjarnAndy,

Thank you for your responses.

We will be visiting next week. As I have heard renting a mini-van is much wiser than the public transporation.

We are in a group of 10 people.

As you have said that the Khao Chang Phuak is closed due to environmental issue, so we have decided just to visit the Erawan Falls ( which I heard it has 7 levels )

Coming from Bangkok with a rented minivan - let's say we will leave around 6:00 am in the morning.

Can you kindly suggest an itinerary to visit different places on the way or around Erawan Falls?

Because I heard that in order to reach 7th level in the Erawan Falls, it takes only 2 hours or less.

We would like to maximize the day and the rented mini-van, and plan to visit other worthy places in the area.

We love to do some sight seeing.

Thanks

Level Contributor
24 posts
5. Re: Khao Chang Phuak - Daytip only

Hi AjarnAndy,

Thank you for your responses.

We will be visiting next week. As I have heard renting a mini-van is much wiser than the public transporation.

We are in a group of 10 people.

As you have said that the Khao Chang Phuak is closed due to environmental issue, so we have decided just to visit the Erawan Falls ( which I heard it has 7 levels )

Coming from Bangkok with a rented minivan - let's say we will leave around 6:00 am in the morning.

Can you kindly suggest an itinerary to visit different places on the way or around Erawan Falls?

Because I heard that in order to reach 7th level in the Erawan Falls, it takes only 2 hours or less.

We would like to maximize the day and the rented mini-van, and plan to visit other worthy places in the area.

We love to do some sight seeing.

Thanks

Edited: 15 March 2016, 10:08
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Khao Chang Phuak - Daytip only

Hi,

On your way to the Erawan Falls you could stop off at the Bridge, just outside Kanchanaburi town. Indeed, since you plan on leaving Bangkok at 06.00 you should arrive in Kanchanaburi at around 08.00, this is a good time to visit since few people will be around.

The walk up to tier seven at the Falls is relatively easy these days because there is a good, concrete path most of the way up. The walk up takes one hour or less but allow about three hours so you can have a dip and take photographs. About 14 kms beyond the Erawan is the Pra That Cave which is just off the road leading up to the Sinakarin Park. It is also well worth a visit since it attracts far less people that the Erawan.

Alternatively, you could visit the Hellfire Pass Museum on your way back to Kanchanaburi/Bangkok. Should you choose that option you could drive about 30 minutes north and stop off at the Hin Dat Hot Springs.

Hope this helps, Andy.

Edited: 15 March 2016, 16:34
Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
58 reviews
7. Re: Khao Chang Phuak - Daytip only

Hi

Are you driving by yourself or are you hiring a driver with the mini van?

Getting out of Bangkok can be tricky even with GPS. So if you are not familar with the road, and are driving yourself, I suggest you give yourself about 3 hours to reach Kanchanaburi. It takes 1 hour from Kanchanaburi to Erawan and 1 hour from Erawan to Hellfire Pass if you wish to go that way. From Erawan to Pra That Cave, it will take about 40 min extra.

And not to forget by the time you are driving back to Bangkok, it will be late and you might be stuck in traffic in Bangkok for 2 hours.

From Hellfire Pass to Kanchanaburi, travel time is 1.5 hours. From the hot spring mentioned by Andy, it will be 2 hours. From Pra That Cave to Kanchanaburi, it will be about 2 hours.

And note that Hellfire Pass, Erawan, Pra That Cave, Hot Springs all closes at 4pm.

So plan your trip properly.

Level Contributor
24 posts
8. Re: Khao Chang Phuak - Daytip only

Hi,

Thank you AjarnAndy and judyksp.

We will be renting a mini-van with a driver with us. I think that the driver knows the way.

So I was thinking to visit these places accordingly;

Bridge On the River Kwai

Erawan Falls

Hellfire Pass

I still dont know other places that I could visit within our time frame.

One of my friend said they'd want to check Srinakarin National Park or Srinakarin Reservoir.

However, I am quite not sure how to arrange our itinerary - which one we should visit first route-wise.

Would it be possible if you can suggest how the itinerary should go, and maybe add some good places.

We plan to leave Bangkok early - maybe 5am and be back to Bangkok around 6pm -7pm or later.

Thanks

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
58 reviews
9. Re: Khao Chang Phuak - Daytip only

Hi

I would suggest as follows: Bridge over River Kwai, Krasae Cave, Hellfire Pass, Srinakarin Dam and finally Erawan. This way, you could spend the rest of your time in Erawan but remember that levels 3 upwards closes at 4pm and entrance is 300 baht per person. If you go by this way, you should reach Erawan by 1pm where you can have a quick lunch before you go up the falls.

Level Contributor
24 posts
10. Re: Khao Chang Phuak - Daytip only

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply.

River Kwai

Krasae Cave

Hellfire Pass

Erawan Falls

These four locations seems great. Are these 4 places relatively close by?

I am sorry for asking too many questions, but can you kindly give us the ideal time to spend in the 3 places;

River Kwai

Krasae Cave

Hellfire Pass

Considering we will only be there moderately - in these 3 locations which should we allocate the most time?

Also, are there any fees in these 3 locations as well?

If we will start going to the Erawan Falls at around 1:00M - will we still be able to reach the 7th level and maybe stay for an hour, and start going down before 4:00PM - or we can start going down from 7th floor at exactly 4:00PM?

Thank you so much for your help.

I appreciate it very much

Edited: 17 March 2016, 09:46