We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buses from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
buses from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Can i pre-book return tickets to and from Kanchanaburi at the Southern Bus Terminal, say, a day before? I need to reach K'buri by 9 am, which bus will be right for me?

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
359 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buses from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi

When we took the 10am bus no.81 in February we just turned up a half our before at the ticket office (a dedicated one for the kanchanaburi bus). The bus got us to the Kanchanaburi bus station at 12:30. So I'd think you should need to get a bus at 6-6:30am to get you there for 9am.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buses from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Thanks for the reply Hebburnmagpie!

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buses from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi

That bus journey is through mainly a flat industrial landscape.....really boring, with also a possibility of the bus breaking down.

Why not take the relaxing scenic option, and get the 1355 train from Thonburi train station the previous afternoon...

https:/…Bridge-on-the-River-Kwai.htm

...arriving @ c1630.

Book into somewhere close to where you need to be by 0900 the following morning.....enjoy a nice meal in Kanchanaburi, get a good nights sleep, a relaxed breakfast, and you're ready to meet your 0900 date all relaxed and fresh.

A good, inexpensive hotel is Sky Resort, a 5 minute walk from Kanchanaburi town train station......book it on Booking.com

Edited: 10 July 2017, 18:18
Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Sky Resort Kanchanaburi
Sky Resort Kanchanaburi
127 Reviews
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
Kolkata, India
Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buses from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Thank u! Great help! :)

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,271 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buses from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Hi,

The train does take a more scenic route but is much more likely to break down. As noted earlier in the thread you will not have any issues in obtaining a ticket in Bangkok. Should the ticket kiosk be closed follow the instructions on the kiosk window which will involve walking down to the main platform.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buses from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Andy, the reason I mentioned catching the train the previous afternoon is that there is zero chance that the OP will miss the 0900 following morning deadline.

If on the very off chance the train breaks down there'll still be ample opportunity and time to get to Kanchanaburi by other transport.....but having to get all the way to the Southern bus station for a silly o'clock bus to Kanchanaburi is courting fate imo.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,271 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buses from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi

No worries brother, I agree with you. Moreover the rail journey is way, way nicer.

Kanchanaburi...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
1,393 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buses from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Hi

If you need to be in Kanchanaburi by 9am, you need to take the bus. If you take the train, you need to arrive one day before, so this will mean you need to stay a night in Kanchanaburi in order to be in Kanchanaburi before you can be at your meeting point at 9am.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,271 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buses from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi

Hi,

It seems as though you will be visiting Elephants World for the day. In that case, I would definitely stay in Kanchanaburi town the night before. You can arrange to get picked up at your guest house/hotel on the day.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
10. Re: buses from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2018, 09:47