We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kanchanaburi itinerary with kids 1 or 2days? Organised tour?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kanchanaburi itinerary with kids 1 or 2days? Organised tour?

Hi. We will be in Bangkok for 4 nights in August with our 13 and 15 year olds. We have accommodation in Bangkok, but would be open to staying in Kanchanaburi overnight for one night.

I prefer the idea of the train than a mini bus from Bangkok, but wonder if the train times would make a trip quite limit in, time wise.

We are interested in doing the Erwan falls, River Kwai and war museums, maybe rafting and possibly seeing some elephants (although that could wait tip our 5 days in chi nag Mai, maybe).

Anything else that I'm missing that would be a nice compliment to 5 days in Chiang Mai straight afterwards?

Would you suggest an organised tour or is it very doable independently? 1 day or 2? (I think if we are spend only one day in Kanchanaburi, i'm worried we might have too long in Bangkok city).

All advice appreciated!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand
River Kwai
River Kwai
1,351 Reviews
Kanchanaburi, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kanchanaburi itinerary with kids 1 or 2days? Organised tour?

Oh gosh, sorry about typos- should say:

' make trip quite limiting' and 'Chiang Mai'

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,270 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kanchanaburi itinerary with kids 1 or 2days? Organised tour?

Hi,

You could take the 07.50 train from Thonburi to Kanchanaburi. Once there, walk out of the station and take the bus to the Erawan Falls, they depart every 40 to 50 minutes. Actually, you could overnight at the national park, hike up the Falls early in the morning and then take a bus back to Kanchanaburi. You will have enough time to visit the Thai-Burma Railway Museum before returning to Bangkok.

Did you know there is a bus service between Kanchanaburi and Chiang Mai?

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Erawan Falls
Erawan Falls
1,935 Reviews
Erawan National Park, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kanchanaburi itinerary with kids 1 or 2days? Organised tour?

Thanks, very much Andy. We have actually booked a flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and decided to head back to Bangkok, as i didn't want to feel that I was rushing at the end of a day tour to continue a long onward journey (and my husband hates buses!).

I should have also mentioned the Hell Fire pass, is it close to the museum? Is that all doable? Also, what are the distances/ travel times between the places on my itineraries, please?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,270 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kanchanaburi itinerary with kids 1 or 2days? Organised tour?

Hi and welcome,

The Hellfire Pass is about 60 kms from Kanchanaburi town, it takes a little over an hour to reach. The drive from the Erawan Falls to the Hellfire Pass also takes about an hour.

You could take the afternoon train to Kanchanaburi, check in at a hotel and arrange to hire a car (and quite possibly a driver) or get yourselves booked on a one day tour for the following day. The latter are usually rushed. Anyway, on day two you can easily visit both places and take a late bus back to Bangkok.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Erawan Falls
Erawan Falls
1,935 Reviews
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kanchanaburi itinerary with kids 1 or 2days? Organised tour?

Very many thanks, Andy. Much appreciated; my head is bursting from researching and booking hotels, domestic flights and ferries to Chiang Mai and then on to Koh Samui! It's really helpful to get some assistance with the final part of our travel plans. I think the idea of a driver would work well; neither of us will want to drive, i don't think.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,270 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kanchanaburi itinerary with kids 1 or 2days? Organised tour?

Hi AntAndBee,

You are welcome. I think your best option is to hire a car + driver in Kanchanaburi to drive you to the Erawan Falls and the Hellfire Pass. This is easy to do in one day from Kanchanaburi. I suggest visiting the Falls first, as early as possible since they receive a lot of visitors. I would plan to spend three hours there, this will give you plenty of time to walk up to the top tier and back. It will also give you time to take a dip and experience the fish nibbling at your feet.

Good luck with the planning, I know it isn't always easy, cheers, Andy.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Erawan Falls
Erawan Falls
1,935 Reviews
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kanchanaburi itinerary with kids 1 or 2days? Organised tour?

Hi

We're in kanchanaburi at the minute having come from bangkok a couple of days ago. We were planning on getting the 7.50 train from Thonburi railways station but missed it and ended up getting a taxi to Sai Tai (southern bus terminal) and getting a minibus here- took 2 hrs. Was 100bht each. Our kids are 6 and 8 so a little younger than yours. We're loving Kanchanburi and so felt the need to reply to your post. We're staying 4n at the ploy resort in their family room - booked via internet- 1700/night. It's right on the river and has cool AC rooms with a lovely little pool.

Kanchanaburi has a really nice feel- lots of nice cafes/ restaurants and not too busy. There's lots to do- we've visited the thai burma railway museum and war cemetery the day we arrived, then had a day trip to hellfire pass and got train back from Nam Tok to ride death railway yesterday (finished with the obligitory walk over the famous bridge) and today visited the waterpark for about 1000thb. Tomorrow we're planning a bus ride to the Erawan falls, There' s a lovely little restaurant called ?Ons who run a cooking course which we're planning on doing before catching the 2.48 train back to bangkok on monday.

I appreciate we go a lot slower and need lots of 'pool time' but we've all really enjoyed it here.

Hope you get here however you decide to do it. It's very easy to do on your own and if you want private transport, being a group of 4 makes it so much more reasonable.

Enjoy

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,270 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kanchanaburi itinerary with kids 1 or 2days? Organised tour?

Hi,

Good to see that you are loving Kanchanaburi. Expect the afternoon train back to Thonburi to be late. Happy travels, Andy.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Malaysia
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kanchanaburi itinerary with kids 1 or 2days? Organised tour?

Erawan National Park will take one full day. Consider staying more days because Kanchanaburi has a lot to offer. Try this itinerary to see an overview - https://qwuen.com/travel-itinerary/120

Mentioned in this post
Erawan National Park
Erawan National Park
321 Reviews
Si Sawat, Thailand
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,270 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kanchanaburi itinerary with kids 1 or 2days? Organised tour?

Hi,

Actually, if you plan your day carefully it is possible to visit the Erawan and Huay Ka Min Falls in one day. Needless to say, a car is a necessity to do so.