We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent - money exchange issue

Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent - money exchange issue

We have just arrived in the Apsara in khao lak this evening with sterling to change at the airport as advised. However I stupidly did not think to ensure they were Bank of England notes and they will note accept the Northern Irish notes I brought from home. Does anyone know of anywhere in khao lak / phuket etc who will accept non bank of England sterling?

Thanks in advance

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent - money exchange issue

If you do a search on Scottish Bank notes in this forum you will see I posted my experience of trying to get Scottish notes changed. I would very much doubt if you will find anywhere that will change them. I would recommend using your bank card at an atm taking out the maximum you can (as you will get charged a set amount per transaction regardless of amount).

I am totally with how you are feeling (it's not fair, northern Irish notes are sterling too, there is no reason not for them to take it) but I have learnt the hard way not to forget to take Bank of England notes!!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
9,523 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent - money exchange issue

Bank notes drawn on certain Scottish and Northern Ireland banks are denominated in sterling and backed up by ring fenced deposits at the Bank of England. They are thus as good as Bank of England notes. However retailers in the UK will often refuse them. I am not surprised that you are having trouble in Khao Lak.

If you are in Bangkok you could try Vasu www.vasuexchange.com no guarantee though.

Edited: 23 June 2016, 23:16
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent - money exchange issue

Thanks for your help I feared as much! Totally my fault for not thinking ahead. We will head into town tomorrow and lift what we can at the ATM. Certainly a mistake I won't make twice!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent - money exchange issue

You could try one of the private (not bank) moneyh exchanges. There are several in the main town of Bang La On either side and opposite the Nang Thong Supermarket, also down the beach road at the side of the NTS (turn off at the traffic lights). A private money changer may accept them.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
164 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent - money exchange issue

Just for fun I tried 1 new money changer per night for about a week before I gave up. I have to say they tried harder than the banks including multiple phones to whoever. They were also super apologetic unlike the banks. But I think they all work from the same printed sheet that shows examples of currency accepted.

If it makes you feel any better I calculated how much difference using an Atm was over changing currency & to be honest we were talking v little - maybe a few pounds & that was worth it for the convenience if nothing else! So for a plan B it wasn't so bad!

6. Re: Urgent - money exchange issue

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 June 2016, 15:35
Level Contributor
9 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent - money exchange issue

Oh really, which ATM did you find to have the best rate. I have a debit Mastercard which has been showing me the charges on screen. It shows £225 for lifting 10,000 bhat. Unless you suggest taking the option to continue without the exchange?

Many thanks for all the help.

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
526 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent - money exchange issue

Hi LJ

Some, but not all, banks and/or exchange booths will give you an cash on your debit or credit card.

Bangkok Bank I have found to be good for this, Whilst Kasikorn tend not to.

Arandora has found that many places in Khoa Lak do NOT offer this service, but there are some that may

You present your debit or credit card along with your passport and ask for cash advance - there are no extra fees (other than exchange fees) and you can take out 25k baht per time, and do it up to 4 times in a row in the same bank (some limit it to 2 times).

Some places offer it, some dont. But I have found Bangkok bank to be the most consistent in doing it

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent - money exchange issue

Hi LJ by all means try Kevin's advice but if that fails definitely take the option to continue without the conversion.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,772 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent - money exchange issue

Further to the above be aware that UK banks charge between 2% and 6.5% on top of the 200 Baht Thai fees this could depending on the bank apply to over the counter cash withdrawals also.

this is a link to the charges made by UK banks for card use abroad.

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/overseas-card-c…

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations