We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting in Khao Lak in October with young children

Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting in Khao Lak in October with young children

Hi

we will visit Khao Lak on October (6-11). We will stay in the Khao Lak Sands hotel with 2YO and 5YO children.

I know we are going to experience a lot of rain :(

Is there things to do in Khao Lak on a rainy day with young children?

Are there Snorkeling tours on those dates (not in Surin islands)?

Can we swim in the sea?

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,188 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting in Khao Lak in October with young children

"I know we are going to experience a lot of rain :("

- not necessarily. There was more rain last October than November! But of course it could change again. Weather is unreliable everywhere these days.

There are no snorkel tours to the Similan or Surin Islands or any of the newly emerging islands in this area between 15th October and 15th May each year. There are snorkel tours from Phuket but it will be a long day.

Have a look at this link for pics of other things to do in and around Khao Lak that should interest your children, especially the visits to the two Turtle Sanctuaries https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297…

In addition there is bamboo rafting on the river over the mountain near Tab Lamu which you could combine with a visit to the Royal Marine Turtle Sanctuary which is nearby and there is now an ATV track near the raft ride.

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,188 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,719 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting in Khao Lak in October with young children

You may not get rain every day or even if you do it may only last for a short time. Water at this time can be rough with rips so I would exercise extreme caution about letting your children go in.

The Sands is a big hotel that caters for families so there should be a bit to entertain them there. The kids room looks pretty good on their website.

You will probably have plenty time where they can play on the sand and build sandcastle etc so I wouldn't panic about it too much. There isn't a great deal of indoor activities for children in Khao Lak that I know of.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting in Khao Lak in October with young children

Hi There

I'm taking my 6 year old son to Khao Lak in July for a couple of weeks so I'll report back on whats around. When we've visited Thailand in the past he's always been happy to hang out on the beach, at the pool, watch ghekkos etc. He had great fun last year helping the ice cream man dig out crabs and catch fish, to be honest I think he enjoyed that more than a day trip we did to an animal sanctuary! The monsoon in Thailand can be torrential but its normally just a short spell of rain everyday and then back to sun. Fingers crossed for sunny skies in July!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting in Khao Lak in October with young children

Hi Eran

The Sands is a great family hotel, the kids pool is amazing, your will have a ball in it. The kids club is right next to the pool and gets great reviews. I would hesitate on taking a 2yo & 5yo on snorkelling tours.

The beach out the front is good for the children to play in the sand but the water can get rough and there are rips to the right of the steps to the beach so be careful. 100m or so to the left is a lot better for the little ones.

Weather wise we are heading back this year for our 4th October KL visit, the rain if any never bothers us it is normally only for an hour or so mid afternoon. Touch wood we haven't had a full day of rain in KL to date.

I'm sure you will have a great family holiday

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting in Khao Lak in October with young children

The Sands has a children's program with face painting, basket making, and others, etc.

I didn't pay a lot of attention, but there was a separate channel on the TV that promoted these various activities (particularly on wet days).

Note ... that whilst the channel can also be viewed at The Leaf On The Sands (sister hotel), the activities were only available to those staying at "The Sands"

Mentioned in this post
The Leaf on The Sands
The Leaf on The Sands
309 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,256 posts
533 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting in Khao Lak in October with young children

tezzat/Terry ... you went home at the right time.

During the past 5 years, I haven't had more than an hour or two's rain spread over 10 or 12 days during at least 7 visits usually May/Jun/Jul/Oct (notwithstanding night rain).

This time they got evens ... 9 days out of 12 it bucketed down ... wet to very wet to extremely wet for probably 6 hours per day ... but you get wet, so what?

It was still a very pleasant 27/28 degrees and was actually more comfortable than when the sun was shining/steaming us ... and people still used the pools during the rain (luckily there was no thunder/lighting during the day).

Another great trip :-)

Edited: 09 June 2016, 10:48
Level Contributor
17 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting in Khao Lak in October with young children

Thank you all very much for all these helpful replies. I feel now that I made the right choice visiting Andaman coast in October :)

We will start our visit with 5 nights (1-6 of october) in Kamala sunwing resort before arriving to Khao Lak. So it is total of 10 nights vacation. We will probably have some sunny days and some rainy days.

What do you all think about a day cruise with a 2 YO in October? is it possible? What the the best destinations for that?

Thanks!!!

Eran

Mentioned in this post
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Kamala
Kamala
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,395 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visiting in Khao Lak in October with young children

There are no day cruises as such on the Andaman Coast from Khao Lak. The Similan and Surin Islands are snorkel and dive destinations and are closed until 15th October but probably not suitable for a 2 YO anyway. Phang Nga Bay is an alternative from KL to the pier at Phang Nga by road (about an hour) then longtail boat into the Bay but again questionable for a 2 YO. Or from pier at Phuket then speedboat or big boat to Phang Nga Bay but neither really are "cruises." Ocean conditions are still unsettled and potentially rough and dangerous in October as is all of the Low Season May to October.

Mentioned in this post
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...
388 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,188 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,593 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Phang Nga
Phang Nga
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visiting in Khao Lak in October with young children

Eran,

You will enjoy both of your chosen resorts on lovely beaches.

As so many others have said it would be very unusual to be completely rained out in October.

Your little one will enjoy seeking and finding hermit crabs along the beach in KhaoLak.

You can play games where you draw a circle in the sand, place the little shells that the crabs live in , in the middle, and see which one leaves the circle first. (even the adults get in on the action). Kids get very excited. Just remember to leave them on the beach. A few people take them back to their rooms which is fatal to the creature.

If you do find a boat trip, I would recommend that you take your own lifejacket for your toddler. There will not be any suitable size provided, if at all, locally. Don't do what you would not do at home when it comes to safety. There will be other opportunities for boat trips when they are older if you miss out this time.

Happy travels.

10. Re: Visiting in Khao Lak in October with young children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak