We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wifi access vs Sim card with data

Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
18 reviews
Wifi access vs Sim card with data

Hi

Just wondering how widespread Wifi is outside of hotels? Would it be worth getting a Sim card with data do you think?

Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Wifi access vs Sim card with data

Wi-fi is available in many restaurants and bars throughout Khao Lak. A SIM card (unlocked phone necessary) is cheap enough if you want to be completely independent. See this for general information https:/…50150033

Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Wifi access vs Sim card with data

Great thanks.

I did look at that post, and confused myself!

Thanks again

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: Wifi access vs Sim card with data

We were in KL earlier this month for 2 weeks and virtually all places we ate at had free wifi, in both Bang La On and Bang Niang

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,375 posts
99 reviews
4. Re: Wifi access vs Sim card with data

WiFi does not cut it if you plan to use your phone for navigation or want location co-ordinates into you photos.

Currently one 700 baht SIM package sold to tourists gives 6 GB of data for 30 days. That is less than 24 baht per day. If you just want to use the Internet you will end up spending more than that by sitting just an hour in a bar with 'free' WiFi.

Edited: 31 May 2016, 09:40
toronto
Level Contributor
852 posts
5 reviews
5. Re: Wifi access vs Sim card with data

That's excellent....coincidentally I was on the phone with my mobile provider today and they were boasting about their great new international roaming plan that costs 10cad per day! I laughed and told that going with a local provider is about 1/10th the cost.

I think I may be in the same boat as the OP, I will be doing work in the evenings when I am in SEA later this year and after checking into rates I realised that relying entirely on free Wi-Fi is not worth it given the cost of getting a local plan is so little.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
18 reviews
6. Re: Wifi access vs Sim card with data

I agree. I find that hotel wifi can be erratic.

Can you advise which company provides that plan-it sounds good. Does it also give some credit for calls?

Thank you

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,375 posts
99 reviews
7. Re: Wifi access vs Sim card with data

That one happens to be from DTAC https:/…tourist-packages.html . They have cheaper packages if you do not need that much but their competitors AIS and TrueMove have comparable deals. They change the offering from time to time and none are really better than the others so the queues at the shops at Suvarnabhumi might be the deciding factor.

Call credit is included. Local calls cost about 1 baht/min. For international calls Skype etc. are cheapest. The Thai operators have various dialing prefixes that can by used to make cheaper international calls than their default service. With DTAC the 004 prefix gives a 6-7 baht/min rate to Australia while the default rate with "+" prefix is 17 baht/min.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,132 posts
18 reviews
8. Re: Wifi access vs Sim card with data

Thank you

toronto
Level Contributor
852 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Wifi access vs Sim card with data

Is there much difference in coverage area between the major providers? I will be in the far north (Chiang RAI motorbike loop) for a week and I wonder if all 3 companies have this area well covered?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Wifi access vs Sim card with data

I used my regular AIS 12Go Sim in Bangkok, Chiang Rai to Chiang Dao to Chiang Mai then Phuket and Khao Lak over 4 months. Good coverage and I would expect the same from the other providers.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak