We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm singing in the rain

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
I'm singing in the rain

Yep, the monsoonal rains have arrived in southern Thailand. There are several hundred guests here at the JWM walkinjg around with looks of frustration and boredom on their faces.

We have a rental car so we have been able to get out and about. Driving around here is always "interesting" but yesterday we came across five accidents in 20 minutes with the worst on the hill leading into/out of Khao Lak. The traffic snarl on the hill was so bad we did a very difficult u-turn and headed back to Bang La On.

The rain has been so heavy at times that it resembles looking through a waterfall. At 1.45 am I got out of bed and opened the front door and couldn't see the jungle 30 metres across the road.

The rain is widespread and according Metradata weather it is set to last several days.

For us Australians who come from a parched and drought stricken land it has been a sight we don't get to see very often. That is why "I'm singing in the rain . . ."

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,167 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm singing in the rain

Good to know and yes we are in need of rain here on the Gold Coast.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm singing in the rain

Drive carefully, there is a huge rubber build up on the roads.

We flew back 4 May and copped a big storm just before getting picked up by Boss. We saw at least 10 cars that had run off the road between Bang La On and the airport, most badly damaged, plus as many bikes down.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm singing in the rain

Exchef and other Melburnians who have visited the National Gallery of Victoria will be familiar with the waterwall at the entrance. That's what I see now looking out our window at The Waters. Our room flooded last night with water seeping through the window frames. I feel sorry for those whose holiday has been rained out but we have been traveling since the start of May and have seen more than enough sun!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm singing in the rain

How is the JWM holding out in the rian? Last year the day we left in June the rain was pouring in everywhere.

Linda

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm singing in the rain

I've just come from the car park and it is flooded with the water over ankle deep. Some of the paths are slightly flooded. On the way back to our room from the car park staff were taking out the furniture and bedding from a room on wing one which I'm guessing had water entering the room during the night.

Apart from that the resort seems to be holding up remarkably well despite the deluge that has descended on it in the past 48 hours.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm singing in the rain

Exchef that sounds scary, make sure you take care! The roads can be bad enough without that sort of rain adding to it.

I'm glad to see that the rain has arrived. Although many will complain, it is the wet season after all and they desperately need it.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm singing in the rain

I am glad it is holding up. Last year we were in block 4 but as it was so wet we walked up to reception and then along block 3 for breakfast and return. There was rain pouring in on the passageways from the ceiling areas. Enjoy your holiday!

Linda

California
Level Contributor
316 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm singing in the rain

I took lomprayah ferry from ko phangan, it was so scary, the waves were all over the place and the catamaran captain wouldn't slow down. Weather was fine before leaving koh phangan.

I am now in ao nang krabi, been raining like crazy here on and off. I'm in my hostel just laying in the dormitory bed. Thank goodness for fast wifi, I can watch some tv shows.

I'm wondering, since I'm traveling here, what can I do? I was hoping to go to koh lanta, but don't know if it's a good idea with the heavy rain and taking the 2 hour ferry to koh lanta. Not even sure if it will be running.

I was thinking just going overland to khao lak, but with the weather, not sure either. I was really hoping to visit ko lanta and ride around the island on a scooter.

I can revisit Chiang Mai/pai, was there last year. But this year I really wanted to explore the south and islands, didn't expect this bad weather.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,766 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm singing in the rain

drjeepney, May is the start of the wet season on the west coast so this weather is to be expected at this time of year.

Not sure what to suggest seeing as you have already come from the east coast. It really is a day to day proposition re travel on ferries etc.

Khao Lak is also experiencing very heavy rain so even if you can get their safely the conditions will be the same.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Perth
Level Contributor
582 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm singing in the rain

Rather than take the 2 hour ferry direct from Krabi to Koh Lanta, why not take the mini bus.

You will still have two small ferry crossings, but they only last 5 minutes each and may be more likely to run.

You could check out prices and availability at any of the tour shops in Krabi.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Lanta
Lanta
48 Reviews
Ko Lanta, Thailand
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak