We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Torn between Khao Lak and Koh Lanta

New Delhi
Level Contributor
41 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Torn between Khao Lak and Koh Lanta

We are a family of three (including a eight-year-old hyperactive kid who loves water -- both poll and sea) visiting Thailand for about 9 days. We land in Krabi before noon on June 1 and fly out of Phuket in the evening of June 7.

Of these six days, we plan to be in Ao Nang for at lease two days. For the remaining, we are torn between Koh Lanta, Koh Phi Phi and Khao Lak.

We'd love to be by the sea that's 'swimmable' without doing boat trips every day, which I guess crosses Phi Phi out.

We want to avoid full-on party spots and overcrowded beaches, but would love a few good drinks by the beach at night. We do not want to eat at the hotels we stay in and would like to explore the towns too.

What would you kind folks suggest. We could drop Ao Nang too as we have do not have a fixed plan for the six nights yet.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Torn between Khao Lak and Koh Lanta

All three destinations are West Coast and June is Wet Season so you can expect similar weather I.e. Hot, potentially clouding over in the afternoons with some thunderstorms but not always with rain which usually doesn't last long. Sea conditions are rough and particularly with children keeping to the pool is best. Ao Nang is obviously nearer to Krabi Airport and taking into account ferry transfer times to Ko Lanta, transfer to Khao Lak or Ko Lanta from there is about the same. Plenty of information on what to do in the top Question FAQs on each forum.

South Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Torn between Khao Lak and Koh Lanta

Depends upon your priorities, Andaman Sea might be a bit rough during June, I would suggest look at the east coast of Koh Lanta for potential better sea conditions. However, not many resorts around that area, and only a few beaches towards the south east. But it is nice or was last time I was there.

Alternative look towards Hua Hin coast line area e.g. my favourite South Pranburi, Sea conditions can be better here in June, some beach restaurants and very quiet.

Koh Lanta (West Coast) and Khao Lak I think both would be good choices for all your other requirements. But only six days in total, maybe best to stick with Khao Lak easier location?

New Delhi
Level Contributor
41 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Torn between Khao Lak and Koh Lanta

Thank you so much Arandora. I am from India and pretty much born and raised in the tropics :)

The weather does not really bother me. What I'd really like to know is will places like beach bars, restaurants and shopping areas be closed for the low season? Like I said earlier, we do not want to be confined o resort / hotel food. And a bit of a night life will also be appreciated.

Thanks again :)

4. Re: Torn between Khao Lak and Koh Lanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2016, 16:25
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Torn between Khao Lak and Koh Lanta

Local restaurants by some of the beaches close in Low Season because of high tides and beach conditions but most restaurants,shops and bars in the main towns of Bang La On and Bang Niang remain open as do the local markets. Nightlife mist of the year is mainly restaurants and bars with a few late night ones with live music.

6. Re: Torn between Khao Lak and Koh Lanta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2017, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations