We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap mode of transport

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap mode of transport

Hi

This is my first trip to Khao lak.I need to know if there are tuk tuks here that can take us around for short trips. How much do they charge to go to the town or market from say The leaf Oceanside.

What other cheap transport can I get, as I understand transportation is very costly.

Thanks

Cheers

Noel

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap mode of transport

There are tuk tuk/songtheows that are everywhere. They are a pick up truck with a cover and two rows of seats in the back. You hire them like a taxi and they are reasonably cheap.

From the Leaf Oceanside to Bang Niang it will be 150-200 baht I think. Depends on how many travelling. We used to pay double that but there was 9 of us.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap mode of transport

There are no tuk tuks just mainly song thaews as decribed by JustAllie as well as cars. The Leaf Oceanside is just down the road from the centre of Bang La On which is the main town of Khao Lak where you will find most restaurants, bars and shops which sell most of the goods you can buy on Bang Niang Market. But what you can't buy is the market atmosphere and in particular the great array of local food now on offer.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap mode of transport

It's funny Alan because when we were asking at NTBR about hiring the songtheow, they always said "oh you mean tuk tuk" LOL.

Noeljs, as Arandora posted, the market at Bang Niang is a must visit even if only for the food. Wander around and sample all the food for a late afternoon snack or dinner. So cheap but very delicious. You can also buy pretty much all of the usual market wares like clothing, homewares, electronics etc. around the corner from the market is the main restaurant street of Bang Niang which has many great restaurants.

There is plenty close walking distance to where you are staying but get out and about, you won't regret it.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap mode of transport

Previous visitors to Thailand in particular Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket are used to Tuk Tuks as a common form of transport as opposed to Song Thaews which are used in many locations. I'm surprised that locals refer to Song Thaews as Tuk Tuks. Might even be their sense of humour! Mars Bar has two Tuk Tuks and I think there is one other private one you see running around.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap mode of transport

Yes agreed with the last post they always referred to as tuk tuk when you ask, and there are plenty of them

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,028 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap mode of transport

Must be the Thai accent - I thought the locals said "taxi". :-)

7. Re: Cheap mode of transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2017, 09:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak