We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Cars.com

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
Rental Cars.com

I tried unsucessfully to contact Budget Rental Cars in Khao Lak (the franchise nearly opposite the Sensimar Resort). With no replies to my emails for several days, I then used an universal company, Rentalcars.com.

They have quoted me in GBP. Has anyone used this company and if so are they reputable?

South Lanarkshire...
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Rental Cars.com

I have used them in the past but not in Thailand and not had a problem, they are a global company, with mixed reviews. I think they are part of priceline.com organisation.

There is a facebook page devoted to bad reports about them called "Avoid Rentalcars.com".

However, in my opinion, car rental is a bit of a lottery when it comes to which company to use, as they all have mixed reviews.

Now, I take a chance and arrange a car if needed on arrival, at least then you can see what you are getting for your money, and if not happy walk away. Of course you run the risk of no availability, and rates seem comparable to advance booking.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Rental Cars.com

I rent every year through Budget but I'm not aware of a Budget franchise opposite the Sensimar. I book through Smile Restaurant. Budget has an office in Bang Niang on the right going north nearly opposite the Zantika Pub. However, this only deals with existing bookings which are made on-line through the Budget website or at Phuket Airport or other main offices albeit you could book at the Bang Niang Office in person. You can book with Budget at various tour operator shops in Khao Lak. Hertz has an office in Bang Niang nearly opposite the market that operates on a similar basis. Thairentacar is a popular on-line agency that visitors to Khao Lak use - see https://www.thairentacar.com/index.php/en/

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
3. Re: Rental Cars.com

Well after 36 hours Rentalcars.com has not been able to elicit a response from Budget in Khao Lak. Do these people know how to run a business or not?

I'm now going to cancel Rentalcars.com and see if I have any luck through Smile Restaurant. I went through this process in 2013 when hiring a car from Budget in Khao Lak. Once on the ground everything went smoothly, however, corresponding electronically with them appears to be a complete waste of time and effort.

Alan, in the link you kindly provided for Thairentalcars, there appears to be no outlet in Khao Lak from the drop-down listing on the left of the opening page.

Edited: 22 April 2016, 07:36
Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
44 reviews
4. Re: Rental Cars.com

Further to the above post, I found that the number provided by Rentalcars.com for cancellation is never answered. I tried several times without success despite their site stating that it was a 24/7 number.

I went to the site Avoid Rentalcars.com as provided by Adrian H and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when reading some of the unethical practices that were posted by disgruntled former customers.

I then rang American Express here in Australia and outlined my concerns to them. They informed me that Rentalcars.com is a "flagged" company here in Australia, meaning that Amex have had difficulties with this company in the past.

In the meantime, American Express will be taking the dispute up with Rentalcars.com. I hope they have more luck than me in contacting them.

Edited: 22 April 2016, 08:20
5. Re: Rental Cars.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 22 April 2016, 13:04
Marlborough, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Rental Cars.com

We recently used Chic rent a car at Phuket Airport booked through Easycar. Newish company and new car. Service was excellent as was the vehicle-by far the best we've ever had in Thailand.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Rental Cars.com

Sorry

I had assumed you would want to rent from Phuket Airport.

I have contacted our friends at Smile and they no longer do car hire as they are too busy with the restaurant.

Have you tried Budget through their website at https://www.budget.co.th/default.aspx

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Rental Cars.com

Plenty of options if you are prepared to rent from Phuket Airport. It is worth contacting the localoutfits like Airport Car Rent or Andaman Car Rent or Pure Car Rent who may quote for hire from Khao Lak perhaps with a delivery and pick up charge.

9. Re: Rental Cars.com

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2017, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak