We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand will it work for us?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
Save Topic
Thailand will it work for us?

Hello I need help

We are looking at going to Thailand but need a lot of help

We want all inclusive (because we do a lot and looking for food isn't something we enjoy)

We need diving from the hotel (by boat) snorkelling off the beach.

A couple of trips - scenic, history, wildlife. NOT shops, bars booze cruise, large crowds.

Hotel needs to be spacious, clean, peace full and safe with good food and drink.

We don't need a spa, gym entertainment.

We don't need turndown service or room service or to be waited on hand and foot but we do need things kept clean.

Thanks

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand will it work for us?

If all inclusive is a must then in my opinion Thailand is not for you, one of the many attractions of Thailand is the delicious and varied food away from the hotels. Other than breakfast most hotel restaurants are empty most of the time not because they are particularly bad but because far better can be had for much less money usually within a short distance.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand will it work for us?

Thanks

My problem is we would want a hotel in a quiet area - so not that near to places to eat.

My OH will go diving a lot so unless he is back for lunch I would be on my own.

I also like to snorkel so will have had exercise and will just want to chill and have lunch close by.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand will it work for us?

I obviously can't speak for every hotel in Thailand but even in some fairly remote places I have stayed there has always been places to eat within a 5 or 10 minute walk. As a couple of examples we once stayed in a hotel on Koh Samet which was the only hotel on a small beach but a five minute walk over a small headland took us to a larger beach with several restaurants, when visiting my wife's family farm in Phetchabun province we stayed in a small motel nearby where there were a total of about 10 buildings but food was readily available close by.

Exeter
Level Contributor
41 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand will it work for us?

First Choice / Thomson have a few AI hotels, but you are massively reducing your options....

Spain
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand will it work for us?

Hello runnelstone,

I am agree with the information provided above. MaybeThailand is not the best option for you, you can check Bali or maybe try Dominican Republic or Mexico, I have been in DR and México and there are several places to dive and many AI hotels.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand will it work for us?

Thanks

My other reasons for AI are because my OH is away diving for so much of the holiday I can be basically a single female, so need a secure safe environment.

We also would want a dive centre based at the hotel and usually only biggish one have.

Are drinks at the none AI hotels expensive?

Do rooms generally have fridges?

Copenhagen Region...
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand will it work for us?

Thailand is a secure and safe environment for a single female. You probably risk more if you are out alone in Liverpool. Especially during the daytime, where it is easy to walk out for lunch.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,844 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand will it work for us?

I'm not certain but alcohol in AI hotels in Thailand is not the same as what you experience in other countries. Check the fine print because some don't include alcohol, just meals.

I feel very safe going out in my own in Khao Lak (or any other location in Thailand) and last trip we let our 18 year old daughters venture out on their own and had no qualms about it - even the overprotective Dads LOL.

Drinks aren't overly expensive from my experience unless you want to drink wine as it is very expensive in Thailand. Most places have happy hours too. We always take some duty free spirits and have mixers in our hotel fridge (haven't seen a hotel room without) and make our own drinks to have in the balcony etc. If wine was included in AI it would be very poor quality.

If you are really set on AI then Thailand may not be for you but i really, really urge you to consider going B&B and experiencing wonderful Thailand and all the amazing food it has to offer.

Even the more remote hotels in KL have a number of beach restaurants close by. If you have any hotels in mind, post here and I'm sure you'll get some help as to what is close by.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand will it work for us?

Being the first person to reply who has actually been to Khao Lak I would advise that there are several resorts featuruing AI in Khao Lak but not exclusively so and it is not comparable to what your experience of AI is already and what your expectations of it are in Khao Lak.

Specific reasons that AI then may not be for you in Khao Lak.

* There is no diving or snorkeling from the beach anywhere along Khao Lak's 25km coastline which appears to be one of the main reasons. The main snorkel and dive sites are in or near the Similan or Surin Islands which are at least full day trips and are reached by speedboat taking about 75 minutes from the piers from which they depart.

* Drinks in hotels are more expensive than outside, usually considerably more.

Other than that:

* You will be safe when your husband is away in any resort/hotel.

* There are Dive shops selling tours and offering practice dives in the pool at some, mainly 5* resorts which may not feature AI options.

* Even in the "quiet" areas there are local restaurants nearby that offer food and drink considerably cheaper, more choice and mostly better than AI.

* You can book trips at any hotel but more cheaply at tour shops.

* scenic, history, wildlife. NOT shops, bars booze cruise, large crowds.- that doesn't only come with AI if it does at all.

* Usually 4* and above have fridges.

So whilst I don't think AI is what you are looking for, Khao Lak has much more to offer and probably for a lot less money.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand will it work for us?

It's not for you, If you are going to Thailand and going to virtually stop in the hotel all-inclusive you might as well go to Spain because you are wasting you time if you are not going out to mix with the local people and support the local bars and restaurants

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations