We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a fortnight in Khao Lak too long?

Essex
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
Is a fortnight in Khao Lak too long?

Hi!

My boyfriend and I (both mid 20s) have booked flights to Phuket for this June. We're primarily looking to stay in Khao Lak, probably at Apsara, but are wondering if 14 nights in this location would be too long? (Especially as this resort seems to be a 15 minute drive into the town centre)

I realise we are going in the low season and trips to the Similan islands do not run. Do you think there would be enough things for us to do there for a couple weeks? We want a mixture of relaxation, activity and a bit of nightlife.

I have been to Krabi recently, so don't necessarily want to go back there on this trip. But would it be worth maybe staying in Khao Lak for 10 nights and then 4 somewhere in Phuket? I assume the nightlife would be livelier in Phuket, but other than that, is it worth uprooting or should we just stay in Khao Lak for the whole duration?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,907 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Is a fortnight in Khao Lak too long?

Hmm , well I stayed there for a fortnight and it wasn't long enough. I am a relaxation type holiday person though with activities every few days. We also tend to go out for dinner with a few chilled cocktails afterwards rather than clubs etc.

There is still nightlife in Khao Lak but more bars with some music rather than clubby type places. I like these much more but I am double your ages LOL.

I think perhaps you could do some time in Phuket, maybe at the beginning. We did it the other way around and regretted it - after peaceful beautiful KL going to the bus late of Phuket, particularly Patong was a shock. We did have a couple of great nights out there though.

Happy holiday!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Is a fortnight in Khao Lak too long?

Other than the islands there are still plenty of things to do, some suggestions for which you can see in pics at https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297…

The Apsara and area will certainly be quiet in June and possibly as it was last year, the favourite nearby bar and restaurant on the beach facing it, Memories, will be closed. If you are not committed to it you could consider another resort in Bang Niang or Bang La On/Nang Thong Beach - Nang Thong Bay Resort or Nang Thong Beach Resort perhaps. Instead of Phuket, you could spend a few days up in Khao Sok National Park in a tree house or a raft house on Cheow Lan Lake.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
118 reviews
3. Re: Is a fortnight in Khao Lak too long?

We had 5 nights in June at Bhandari Resort two years ago and wished we had stayed longer. Hotel is by the beach in Bang La On and was a ten minute walk up the hill to a great choice of places to eat and drink.

Bhandari is probably a better choice than Apsara in June.

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Is a fortnight in Khao Lak too long?

Two twenty Year olds if you won't night life like clubs will find two weeks in Khao Lak to much, spend time in Phuket to go clubbing then on to Khao Lak to relax still plenty of bars to have a good night out

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
5. Re: Is a fortnight in Khao Lak too long?

We stayed at Apsara last September for 10 nights...Loved the place so much,we wished we could have stayed longer...Spent many a night over at Memories dining and lazing around....

Our first trip we stayed at Palm Galleria which is a good kilometer away from Apsara...We stayed there for 2 weeks,sometimes on our own in the whole resort then we moved to Nang Thong Bay Resort for another 2 weeks....NTBR is closer to the action so maybe a bit more to your liking....

I'm sort of over Phuket but it's worth a look and party if you haven't been before....

As a matter of interest,I met a few ex-pat mid 20's-30's couples who were living and working as dive instructors in Khao Lak,mainly on board the Similan diving trips...They do leave Khao Lak but love the place so much that they always return....And most of them have learned to surf in Khao Lak,so,why not try surfing..??...Boards and surfing lessons are available at Pakarang surf shop/Memories bar-restaurant adjacent to Apsara....

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
286 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Is a fortnight in Khao Lak too long?

I wouldnt mind 6 months, twice a year !

But, I might take some waves from Cooly with me ! ( Whata ya reckon Cliffy?)

Enjoy

Rob

Edited: 12 April 2016, 07:20
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Is a fortnight in Khao Lak too long?

Ooh Rob,Bring the waves with you but leave the crazy crowds at home puhleeze....

I am planning July/August return this year for minimum 2 weeks so hoping for some nice 3-4 feet Andaman swells and low winds...

Essex
Level Contributor
31 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Is a fortnight in Khao Lak too long?

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies! It's a shame to hear that the Apsara and surrounding area will be so quiet in June as I really had my heart set on that accommodation! Thanks for the other hotel/bungalow suggestions, I will definitely look into those. I'm pleased to know that there seems to be enough to do in Khao Lak to keep us busy. Surfing is a great idea which I would never have considered myself! I'm still deciding whether to kick off the holiday with a couple nights near Patong, just to experience the craziness. But I'm more excited than ever to spend the majority of our trip in Khao Lak!

9. Re: Is a fortnight in Khao Lak too long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2017, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak