We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trip from Khao Lak with kids

Perth
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Boat trip from Khao Lak with kids

Hi I am hoping for some advice on the boat trips leaving from near Khao Lak. We are there late April and wanted to go out on a boat trip. What island is best to visit for natural beauty and beginner snorkelling? And can we take our kids aged 4 and 6? And a safe operator please?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trip from Khao Lak with kids

Day snorkel trips for visitors staying in Khao Lak are to the Similan and Surin Islands and Koh Tachai and depart from the pier at Tab Lamu about 15 minutes south from the centre of Khao Lak for the Similans and Tachai and from either Ban Nam Khem about 25 minutes north or Kuraburi about an hour north. Transfers from and to your hotel to the particular pier are included in the tour price as is lunch, water/soft drinks on board and all necessary equipment.

The ocean becomes rougher at the end of April as the Wet Season approaches with the potential for tours to be cancelled on the day if conditions out at sea are unsafe. A rough ride is probably the biggest risk for your kiddies.

Of the three options I would suggest Koh Tachai as the best destination as there is an inshore reef there and you can snorkel from the beach in the beautiful crystal clear water with Fantastic Similans or Kuraburi Greenview being established and respected operators. Prices are competitive so it pays to shop around the local tour shops for the best price with either of these two.

Perth
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat trip from Khao Lak with kids

Thank you Arandora, do these tour operators NOT overfill their boats? That is my main concern with our children along.............

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat trip from Khao Lak with kids

I think those operators are pretty good in that respect but I can't speak from personal experience. We went with Eco Khao Lak which was probably the most expensive tour to Tachai but there were only 21 people on a 47 person boat so very roomy and a great tour. Lots of soft drink and water available all day, decent lunch, fruit and snacks.

My concern with kids of this age is that it is a very long day and in April the sun will be extreme (think high Summer Perth temps but with humidity) so you will need to be careful. We got picked up about 6.30am and got back about 5pm so it is a lot of time to be out in those temps. There is some shade on the island and the boats are generally shaded so make the most it when you can.

Most operators have people who will help in the water so I'm sure they will be more than willing to help your kids. The water is very deep if you are snorkelling off the boat. Usually there are a couple of 45 minute snorkelling times but in ours we could elect to stay on the beach for one of them which might be a good option for you. The kids can then swim/snorkel in the shallows.

The other thing is life jackets. My daughter is 18 and a Aus size 6-8 and the size Small (smallest one they had) was way too big for her. You might need to check with whoever you choose to make sure they will have small enough jackets.

I don't want to put you off because it is a lovely day but it is always good to be prepared and know in advance what issues you may face etc :)

4. Re: Boat trip from Khao Lak with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2017, 09:47