We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do & how much to take

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do & how much to take

Hi,

I know that this has been covered before, but my partner and I are booking a trip to Khao Lak and wanting to know how much to take with us. As we are only booking hotel with breakfast due to wanting to go out and taste the local food and culture most days.

Also i am an avid mountain biker and everywhere we go wanting to go mountain biking, we just want to have an adventure and explore the areas. any good rate company that will have a guided ride?

cheers

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do & how much to take

Re costs:

Dinner for 3 adults with a couple of drinks probably averaged about 1600 baht for us. This would included at least one seafood dish. Sometimes though we only had a bill of well under 1000. A few nights of eating street food at markets etc was much cheaper. The more alcohol you have the more expensive it will be. Wine is expensive at 150-200 baht a glass for something very average.

With seafood most restaurants will have some dishes, say a prawn or fish curry which might be around 180 baht for example. If you want prawns from the selection usually out the front of the restaurant on ice, you will pay by the 100 grams.

Whole fish where we ate was around 60 baht per 100 grams. So a decent 600 gram size whole fish would be 360 baht. Large prawns were between 110 and 150 baht per 100 grams. Some of the ones we had were huge and about 100-150 grams each (we also had a couple of 200 gram ones!) so 6 of these would set you back 6-900 baht - certainly not cheap. They are however fresh and delicious so definitely worth splurging on occasion.

If you want to do some of the more expensive tours, maybe budget for those separately. We did a couple that were 2000-3000 baht.

I would check out the "Things to do" section at the top of the forum in the green section. Has heaps of info including one or two bike tours.

Edited: 21 March 2016, 05:28
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do & how much to take

Hi Matt

You have a very wide range of food selection in Khao Lak. Street food carts, beach front cafes and cheaper restaurants, like Orchid Café, you can pay 40 - 100 baht a dish, other restaurants 120-200 a dish, or top end like Smile around 300 baht a dish (well worth the visit). It all depends what your take on 'local food' is.The Street food in the 3 times a week Bang Niang Markets is amazing and very cheap. My wife and I usually eat most Thai meals for 400-600baht for the 2 of us including at least one large beer to share, and most nights I'm usually too full to pickup a banana pancake from the carts on the way back to the hotel.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket Orchid Resort & Spa
Phuket Orchid Resort...
755 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do & how much to take

Best biking club in Khao Lak is The Green Biking Club - see http://www.greenbiking.com/

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
The Green Biking Club
The Green Biking Club
54 Reviews
Khuk Khak, Thailand
4. Re: Things to do & how much to take

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2017, 10:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak