We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramada or The Sands

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Ramada or The Sands

We are busy planning our return to Khao Lak for April 2017. We can't decide between the sands or the ramada. What is the beach like at the sands are there beach restaurants and massage places, which is a must for us. We will be moving to the JW Marriott after 7 days were we have previously stayed but we thought we would like to try somewhere different and more central first. As a side note our budget would allow for two basic rooms at the ramada or the two be crooned sea suite at the sands. Hmmmm decisions decisions.... Arandora maybe you could help? Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Europe
Level Contributor
99 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramada or The Sands

We too wanted to try somewhere central for second part of our holiday, but I regret it. If you consider beach high on your agenda, I can't recommend Sands. I find the beach below acceptable for a beach holiday and the resort is a bit boring with kids although it is very beautiful. The kiddy pool is in the middle of the resort where you hardly notice being in a beach resort. However, if you are pool people and don't swim in the sea anyway, then you are likely to be happy at Sands. Nearest beach restaurants and massage about 200-300m away. Beach massage at hotel modest 450 baht which is a plus.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramada or The Sands

We don't mind the beach but will probably spend most of the time in the pools, the girls get sore skin from seawater. When we stayed at the Marriott we probably went in the sea about twice! We just wanted somewhere with a bit more within walking distance and stuff to keep the girls happy.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramada or The Sands

I think PHN1 has summed up the location of the Sands very well and its proximity to beach restaurants. Hopefully others will comment on its pool facilities. Its entrance on the highway is at the northern end of Bang La On with easy walking access to the many restaurants, bars and shops there.

The Ramada has a better location and easy access to the many restaurants, bars, shops and Bang Niang Market. However, the adjacent La Flora is currently building a new resort on the other side of the Ramada which may or may not be completed for April 2017 and whose frontage will mean the removal of the handful of beach restaurants there. There are many more though over the creek on to Nang Thong Beach which are the ones referred to in PHN1's reply.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Market
Bang Niang Market
961 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,135 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramada or The Sands

Do you think the sands is a nice hotel arandora? Don't fancy the idea of construction next to the ramada. As long as we can walk to at least one beach restaurant and some restaurants in the town I think we will be ok?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramada or The Sands

People have mixed views about the style of the Sands not being Thai but in fairness neither is the Ramada. The Sands is a bigger resort with by all accounts very good children's facilities. You could contact the Ramada and ask about the progress of the adjacent construction and its potential impact in April 2017. Having said that the accommodation that may suffer from disruption are the beachfront villas, the pool villas behind them and the Deluxe jacuzzi rooms behind this which are all nearest to the new resort. The other rooms are on the other side and should not be affected.

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramada or The Sands

Thanks arandora, for the price of the two bedroom sea suite it seems a bargain. The ramada can't guarantee connecting rooms either which is essential for us. I think we will try the sands.

Phillip Island...
Level Contributor
959 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ramada or The Sands

Good choice. I think you will be very happy at the Sands. It is a lovely hotel, breakfast is great and if your girls ? Like kids club, they will have a blast. Plenty for them to do and you and your partner? Can also have some well deserved holiday time together. Our 7 year old loved the kids club!

We have stayed twice . The pools ( 3 of them are great) and I still think the beach is lovely for a stroll or dip, beware though there are some rocks out the front of the Sands.

Also, nice and close to peters bar on the beach and a nice walk into town for dinner..... Smile restaurant is just across the road, so that's a plus too..... Make sure you reserve a table ahead of time!

Cheers and happy holidays

Verrena 😀

Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
904 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ramada or The Sands

Thanks verrena that's great to hear. We have gone ahead and booked the two bedroom sea suite which looks amazing! I'm hoping the girls will enjoy the kids club for an hour or two a day;) Roll on next April lol

9. Re: Ramada or The Sands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2017, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak