We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruelty-free elephant bathing?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cruelty-free elephant bathing?

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for cruelty-free (ie. no chains, heavy metal seats on elephant backs, "training" with a hook, etc.) places where my boyfriend and I could bathe and feed elephants?

Saw an old thread suggesting there are none, but was wondering if anything has changed?

Thanks!

LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruelty-free elephant bathing?

There's the new Hillside Retreat in Khao Sok - have a look at Eco Khaolak website. However, I may be wrong, but from some of the photos I've seen, elephants are chained at certain points. I haven't actually been yet, so hopefully someone who has been recently might be able to say for sure. In addition, while it's admirable that they are trying to make somewhere more cruelty free, they do still offer trips to other elephant places where trekking etc is still undertaken....

From what I can gather, if you want a 'sanctuary' as such, then Chang Mai has the most, but isn't near Khaolak.

Arandora posted about a German tour group recently who are doing something - hopefully he may be able to give more info, or you may be able to find out about it if you search. I think it was all in German though.

Edited: 10 March 2016, 20:35
Mentioned in this post
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,450 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruelty-free elephant bathing?

The old thread and not so old ones are still correct in relation to Khao Lak. Until actual reports come in about the Hillside retreat the only camp that offers inreractioin with elephants on as near to natural basis is Elephant Hills located just outside Khao Sok National Park. The other reference about a German tour company is for the Khlong Saeng Wildlife Sanctuary in the National Park. See https:/…Khlong_Saeng_Wildlife_Sanctuary

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,137 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
oxfordshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruelty-free elephant bathing?

I have been looking at Siam Safari as I thought you could feed the elephants but not do the trekking

So I will be keeping an eye on this thread

LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruelty-free elephant bathing?

From what I've seen on their website, Siam Safari seem to offer trekking as part of their Elephant packages?

oxfordshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruelty-free elephant bathing?

I am sure I have seen a thread somewhere that says you can miss that bit out,

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruelty-free elephant bathing?

I guess the issue for many of us is that rather than

Skip that part of the tour we would prefer not to support any business that includes riding in their itinerary.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,703 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruelty-free elephant bathing?

Yes but if you go with a company that offers trekking but you decide to skip that part and do the bathing and feeding you are still supporting animal cruelty. It is absolutely disgusting and in humane as to how they beat the elephants into submission when they are young. i just can't seem to link all the videos where if you have the stomach you will be able to watch how the animals are cruelly treated. Companies offering the feel good activities but still offering trekking in the background should also be banned.

Edited: 11 March 2016, 09:11
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruelty-free elephant bathing?

Watching this thread with interest. Would love to experience an elephant sanctuary where I could perhaps just feed them, get photo's with them, watch them bathe. Heading back to Khao Lak in September, I hope something is offered by then,

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,061 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruelty-free elephant bathing?

I honestly think if you are not going to Chang Mai to one of the ethical elephant sanctuaries just save your money and skip it altogether. Yes the way they break the spirit of the babies is just heart breaking.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruelty-free elephant bathing?

Totally agree mrssmith1368.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak