We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JW Marriott Khao Lak

Island of Anglesey...
6 posts
Save Topic
JW Marriott Khao Lak

Can anybody who's stayed at this hotel give me an idea of the cost of food and drink in the hotel. I've read that it's expensive but is it expensive compared to the other bars and restaurants I the area which I've heard are cheap or expensive compared to UK prices. Also are there beach towels provided by the hotel or do I need to bring my own. Many thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak

Food and drink in 5* resorts is always much more expensive than outside restaurants, particularly local ones, and the JWM is no exception. There is a row of local restaurants immediately to the right of the resort set back from the beach with the far end one, Ma Ma's Greeting being our particular favourite.There are a couple more to the left and also near the main entrance. Lunch and dinner menus are generally the same and a typical starter there and most local Thai restaurants in Khao Lak is about 80 - 100 baht and a typical main 100 -150 baht with a whole fish a bit more. That is much less than UK at 50 baht to the £ currently. Similarly drinks, a small beer 60 - 80 baht, large 100 - 150 baht, glass of wine 100 - 150 baht, cocktails 100 - 150 baht.

The JWM provides beach towels for use by the pool or at the beachfront where there are plenty of loungers and umbrellas. See pics from one of our stays at JWM at https:/…

The main townships of Khao Lak are Bang Niang which has a big market three days a week (Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays) with a local market near there on two other days, 10 minutes away by shuttle or taxi, and Bang La On 5 minutes further on where you will find most restaurants (Thai and various other cuisines), bars and shops.

Hope this helps.

Island of Anglesey...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak

That's really helpful thankyou. This will be our first visit to Thailand so I've got a few more questions if you are able to help me?

Are there a lot of mosquitos around the resort?

Would we be best exchanging currency in the resort or before we go? And are there ATM machines in the hotel or resort?

Are there any must do excursions or sights you can recommend as we just don't know where to start.

Thanks again

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak

No more mossies than elsewhere but you should a good DEET based repellant by day as a preventative against day time mossies which transmit Dengue Fever which is prevalent throughout S E Asia. Malaria is not a risk but you should still use the same repellant to stop bites itching and becoming infected. Boots Soltan sun lotion has one of its range (minimum SPF 30) with built in repellant.

If you use a PC or laptop to view the forum there is lots of information in the Top Question FAQs on the right on things to do including pics of the popular trips.

You get a better rate of exchange over here than in UK so change here. There is an ATM near Reception at the JWM. You are charged 200 baht per withdrawal by the Thai bank plus your bank charges at the moment which is set to rise to 250 baht on August. Cash is best as there is no commission or charges and you can change at bank exchanges or private ones in Bang La On and Bang Niang. A mix of cash, debit card and credit card to pay hotel ( credit or debit cards not accepted in local places in Khso Lak) is a good idea.

4. Re: JW Marriott Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2017, 11:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak