We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to ask for no fish sauce (vegetarian)

Dormansland, United...
Level Contributor
306 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
How to ask for no fish sauce (vegetarian)

Hi

As a vegetarian, I'd like to be able to explain no meat but mainly no fish sauce in the restaurants.

Does anyone have "I don't eat fish sauce" written in Thai so I can show staff in restaurants to avoid confusion?

Thanks

Bendigo, Victoria...
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to ask for no fish sauce (vegetarian)

Where are you visiting?

Most places on the tourist trail will have staff who understand "No fish sauce".

A lot of Thai food includes it so if you are going to more non touristy places, it would be good to have it written down.

Hopefully sweetpea will be along to help you soon :)

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,848 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to ask for no fish sauce (vegetarian)

We travelled to Khao Lak with my niece last year who is vegan. Sweatpea typed up a message for her which was very handy and we laminated it for her to show. She had no trouble getting even tiny restaurants to cook her delicious food.

Khon Kaen, Thailand
Level Contributor
425 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to ask for no fish sauce (vegetarian)

Do not add fish sauce: ไม่ใส่น้ำปลา

I don't eat animal flesh: ผมไม่กินเนื้อสัตว์

I eat vegetarian: ผมกินมังสวิรัติ

I eat vegan: ผมกินเจ

This is for men, but if you are female it will still work.

Vegetarian/vegan takes different forms in Thailand than it does elsewhere so you might want to read some about this. "Vegetarian" food often has animal products in it.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How to ask for no fish sauce (vegetarian)

Downloading the Google translate app to smartphone (download english to thai to access offline w/o wifi) has been helpful for us as we navigate as vegetarians. It translates english, writes it in thai language, and also can say vocally, as well as have dialogue. Convenient to take along with you anywhere.

Dormansland, United...
Level Contributor
306 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to ask for no fish sauce (vegetarian)

Hey guys, I'm going to Khao Lak, in a few days but thanks for your helpful responses.

Thank you Tabmit for your post, I will print that out and SEP108 I never even thought to do that but what a great tip, I shall do that also.

6. Re: How to ask for no fish sauce (vegetarian)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2017, 10:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations