We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a general "what do you recommend" question

Brakel, Germany
Level Contributor
3 posts
Save Topic
Just a general "what do you recommend" question

Good evening, Ladies and Gents!

After stalking this forum for a while now, and spending hours reading the very helpful comments, tips and advice, I have joined the ranks of tripadvisorers and I myself now have something to ask from you lovely people.

Just as a little background, I`m a Brit, that was brought up in Ireland, now living in Germany, as my wife is German. We've both traveled Europe extensively, normally spontaneously, and I have also spent 3 months in the Guyanese jungle, building schools. So this will be our first "proper" holiday. In other words, we went to a travel agent to find us a deal of filghts and hotel.... scary experience, never done it before....

Myself and my wife are taking our first trip to Thailand, Khao Lak specifically, indeed our first time to Asia, at end of April, for 2 weeks. After recommendations and research, (and mainly because we got a good deal) we are going to the Sensimar resort. As mentioned, this is to be our first, proper, relaxing, holiday.

So, what do you recommend?

Snorkeling is on the agenda, as is perhaps something to do with elephants (I am aware of the ethical question marks, and the way elephants may be treated, but probably unavoidable in this touristy area), various trekking possibilities in the jungle, and so forth.

Is it possible and/or wise to hire a 50cc scooter? Motorbikes, i know one can, but scooters? And what about renting a car? I have looked at budget and am holding this as a possibility, but am open to more interesting or thrifty ideas. For a day or two when we fancy going out to Khao Sok, or further up the coast.

Food. We will be in Thailand, and would like and expect to eat as the Thai do. I know there are good restaurants near-by, any worth a mention?

I apologize for my monster question, but any feedback will be HUGELY appreciated!

We are very much of the opinion to wait til we get there, and THEN have a look, but it would be nice to have a rough idea what to look out for, and if there is anything we might need to book earlier on.

I say a presumptuous THANK YOU, and look forward to more tripadvisoring in the future!

Doug

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Siam Turmeric
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Seafood, Fast food, Deli
Pam's Restaurant & Bar
₹, Seafood, Asian, Thai
Ben's Restaurant
₹, Pizza, Seafood, Italian
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,773 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just a general "what do you recommend" question

Hi there, we had our first trip to Khao Lak in Nov/December last year and loved it. I'm sure you will be the same.

Here is my JBR which might give you an idea of what we did etc and a few places we ate https:/…7175608

The excellent Everyday restaurant is pretty much across the road from Sensimar. It was one of our favourite places to eat. Lots of options further down the road too.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Llandudno, United...
Level Contributor
308 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just a general "what do you recommend" question

Agree,with the every day,just across the road,we really enjoyed our lunchtimes spent there & great prices to match.

At night,we used to like to relax at the cocktail bar,again just across the road.

We enjoyed our stay at the sensimar & the trips we enjoyed were the sunset cruise,the sight of all the bats flying overhead at sunset,was a lovely experience & also bathing with the elephants.

We are returning to khao lak next week & so looking forward to it.you have chose well,with the sensimar & it is quite an easy walk to both bars & restaurants.

Tracy x

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just a general "what do you recommend" question

Some comments on specific points:

* Snorkel tours to Similan and Surin Islands at the end of April are subject to late cancellation as the sea conditions become tougher as the Wet Season approaches. As with other tours you are better shopping around and booking on the street when you arrive especially as prices are very competitive for the same tours.

* Sccoters are generally above 100cc and classed as motorbikes. There are no 50cc mopeds that you can drive on a car licence. To drive one legally in Thailand you must hold a motor bike licence in your own country and/or an International Driving Permit which will confirm this. You also need your own insurance as none is included in most hires. This will invalid if you are not a licences bike rider. You can hire a car and driver, such as with Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis if you want to do a more independent trip as opposed to an organised tour.

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,219 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
Cheaper than Hotel Taxis
1,031 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
4. Re: Just a general "what do you recommend" question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2017, 11:47