We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer from airport

Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Transfer from airport

Just in the middle of deciding on hotel for next January. Booking with Thomson whose flight arrives early morning. There website states 2 hour transfer to Khao Lak. In people's experience is this generally about right. Assume no rush to get to hotel as rooms not ready too early in the day anyway

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer from airport

Sorry don't know if it helps to say that it is a Saturday morning

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,459 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer from airport

As per all the previous threads on the subject, its 1 hr by taxi, & before you ask, Boss taxis are always recommended. All their contact details are already on the forum

LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer from airport

Hi Sooty - welcome to the forum!

I am flying with Thomson for Christmas (the Dreamliner is an amazing airplane btw if you haven't flown on one yet!), and have decided to book a private transfer. It isn't that expensive and think we will get there quicker - hopefully about the hour the PPs mention. I haven't booked it yet but will a little later in the year. I would think Thomsons saying 2 hours is about right because you need to take into consideration that they take ages to round up everyone - you always get one family/couple who take an age to get to the coach at the airport or get on the wrong coach etc!! Then they'll no doubt drop off at several different hotels on the way - likewise for the way back too!

I think the flight is long enough - I just want to get to the hotel. Even if my room isn't ready, we can have a look around/relax etc while waiting.

Just a point which I'm sure you'll know. If you aren't using Thomsons transfers, please do let a rep know at the airport so they aren't waiting and searching for you!

connecticut
Level Contributor
154 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer from airport

We just landed in Phuket today and were transfered by Boss taxis to Apsara resort. 1300 baht(4 people). Took about 1.5 hours with a stop for gas.

Hope this helps.

Irene

Edited: 20 February 2016, 19:52
Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer from airport

Thanks for all the replies. No we haven't been on the dreamliner before nor have we been to thailand so it's all a bit different this time. That's why we have decided to go with a tour operator instead of sorting it ourselves and also because we want a direct flight. We will only be there a week

LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer from airport

I flew to Orlando on a dreamliner last year - it was lovely - so much room but we were in PE! Although the thought of 11 hours on a flight isn't great, the fact it's on the dreamliner does make me feel a little better! We can't afford PE this flight as they want almost £600 pp and with 4 of us, it's just not worth it.

I haven't been to Khao Lak before but have done a few other parts of Thailand and we loved it.

Enjoy your planning - one of the things that's struck me about KL is the fact there are so many lovely trips and tours to do from the area.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,741 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer from airport

Khao Lak is 25+km of beautiful beaches so a 2 hour transfer would be to the north end on a busy day. We normally transfer to Bang La On (Khao Lak town) in around an hour. Depending on where you are staying I would allow 1 hour - 1.5 hours.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Llandudno, United...
Level Contributor
302 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer from airport

We went with Thompson,in 2014.there was quite a lot of hanging around at the airport,waiting for everyone.i would say a good 45 mins,before we set off.make sure you have some small notes,to buy some water from the driver,because hanging around that long,we definately needed it.

I don't know if Phuket airport,is always like it,or the Thompson flight leaves at a particularly busy time,but I have never seen so many people trying to get into an airport.

There were 2 massive crowds of people,trying to get into these 2 doors & it was a massive free for all,it took about 90 mins,to get checked in.i would not to have liked to have children with me,because it was horrendous.

I would definately get a taxi on the return,to try & arrive earlier than the coaches.

I enjoyed the Dreamliner,but being a couple,I prefer 2-4-2 seating arrangement on a plane,as 13 hrs is a long time,to be sat next to a stranger,but that's a personal thing.

You will love khao lak.we return in 10 days & I am so looking forward to it.

Tracy x

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Airport Hotel
Phuket Airport Hotel
516 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Newmarket, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer from airport

Tezzat- My OH is looking at the Bhandari hotel. Not sure which part of town that is yet.

Tracy - The Thomson flight is advertised as departing at 9am on the Saturday morning. The only possible problem I can see is that the one date we are looking at will be returning on the 28th Jan which I believe is Chinese New Year next year.

Edited: 21 February 2016, 19:22
LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer from airport

The seating config is what swung PE to Orlando for us as it's 2/3/2 so we did 2 2s. As it's way too expensive this time we're in economy so will have to put up with it!

Good tip about the airport Tracy, I can imagine Phuket airport not being the best!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket Airport Hotel
Phuket Airport Hotel
516 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations