We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria tablets

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
malaria tablets

i am travelling to Bangkok for 3 nights at the start of April and then coming to khao lak for 12 nights. in between those 12 nights in khao lak i am doing 2 nights at elephants hills on the lake safari, will me and my partner need malaria tablets for any of the above locations?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: malaria tablets

No but you need to use a good DEET based insect repellant by day for protection against day time mossies which transmit Dengue Fever as well as in the evening to protect from infection by night time mossies. Your GP should confirm this.

LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
2. Re: malaria tablets

Just to add, the day biting mozzies which carry the dengue fever Arandora mentions are also the ones carrying the new 'Zika' virus that's been on the news a lot recently. Now, so far in Thailand, I believe there have been no cases, but of course this is ever changing - so it's best to take precautions by wearing a good repellent at all times. Of course, using WHO guidelines, Zika is only a real risk to women of child bearing age who may get pregnant or are pregnant. But it's worth mentioning as obviously we don't know your circumstances.

As Arandora says, double check with your GP or Practice Nurse who tend to run 'travel health' clinics. You may need some jabs as well so you can do this at the same time. Some jabs need to be done a little while before - I am unsure if this is the case for any for Thailand, but again, it's worth checking sooner rather than later with you going in April.

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
668 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: malaria tablets

Doctors no longer recommend malaria chemoprophylaxis for low risk areas like Thailand. Bangkok, Chanthaburi, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Pattaya, Ko Phuket and Ko Samui are deemed to be free of malaria.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: malaria tablets

Have just had family consultation with the Practice Nurse prior to holiday in April.

Ensured we were all up to date on Hepatitis A and Tetanus boosters and advised malaria tablets not necessary.

She used this website for up to date malaria map

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/destinations/asia-(east)/thailand/thailand-malaria-map.aspx

there are additional vaccinations available (some at additional cost in UK) but that's up to the individual.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: malaria tablets

Apologies - should add she also recommended mosquito repellent spray with 50% DEET

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: malaria tablets

Without wishing to opening a discussion about Zika virus, there have been a low number of cases recorded in Thailand since 2012. See this for information on Thailand forum https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293…

llandudno
Level Contributor
10 posts
99 reviews
7. Re: malaria tablets

We have just spent 3 weeks in Khao Lak. We both got bitten even though using deet spray. However the bites were never itchy and I'm not at all sure they were from mosquitos!!

LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: malaria tablets

Arandora - I had just been following the latest news about Zika - I hadn't realised there had been older cases. Just goes to show, a good repellent is the way forward during the day and night!

9. Re: malaria tablets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2017, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak