We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant Sanctury

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
13 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant Sanctury

We will be staying in Khao Lak in March and would like to visit a genuine elephant sanctuary, we are not interested in riding but would rather visit somewhere which rescues and looks after elephants rather than exploit them for tourists. Any suggestions please

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant Sanctury

I'd be interested in this too. I've looked at Eco KhaoLak's hillside retreat and what they say is all good and well however, they mention no riding on elephants and then in another 'tour' they say 'elephant trekking'?!

I think Elephant Hills may be worth looking at but from what I can gather you have to do at least 2 overnight stays which we don't want to do as part of that activity as we'd like to do that separately and only want 1 night away.

Have to say with the story in the news today about the Scottish man, and the way the elephant was supposedly treated beforehand, I'm thinking quite carefully about this.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant Sanctury

There are no genuine elephant sanctuaries in Khao Lak. There are several elephant camps/treks but these are not sanctuaries. Elephant Hills on the border of Khao Sok National Park just over an hour north of Khao Lak offers interacftion with elephants but no riding on site but is not an elephant sanctuary.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
1,129 Reviews
Surat Thani, Thailand
LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant Sanctury

Arandora - are you aware of any way of just doing a day at Elephant Hills? It appears from their website that you have to have overnight stays?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephant Sanctury

You can only contact them and ask but, no, I am not aware of one day tours there.

LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elephant Sanctury

OK thanks, I'll send them an email. If I find anything of interest I'll post on here as there may be others who want to do similar.

midlands
Level Contributor
74 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Elephant Sanctury

I would be interested please. I too had looked at the hillside retreat but as you as you say slightly conflicting tours.

I am very put off any elephant rides now however well they treat them. As they say if you can ride, wash or take a selfie with a wild animal it probably has a risk

LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Elephant Sanctury

It appears that if you want to visit Elephant Hills and do their elephant package - feed, wash, clean but NO riding, then you have to stay overnight at least 1 night.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
468 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Elephant Sanctury

Hi, we're staying at Elephant Hills for 1 night in May, they don't offer day excursions. Our trip was £200pp, but this includes a LOT, pick up and return from hotel in Khao Lak(with insurance & a guide)overnight stay in a luxury tent with running water etc, all our meals, access to a bar & pool, Khao Sok river ride, time with the elephants washing and feeding them, watching them bathe in the lake, jungle trek, Thai dance performed by local school kids & a cooking demo. From the info I've read on Elephant Hills it IS a sanctuary for old and ex-working elephants who now have a great life, no tricks, no riding. The recent tragedy in Koh Samui where a tourist was killed while riding a mistreated elephant should be a warning to everyone that they are wild animals, not there for our exploitation & amusement.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Elephant Sanctury

Michelle - did you book in resort or beforehand? I see you went in May which is 'green season' and therefore prices can differ greatly. For peak season when we go in December the price online is around £261 per adult - so quite a difference when there are 4 of us (2 adult/2children), although the children are a bit cheaper.

I really wanted to do an elephant experience (non riding so Elephant Hills was the best choice in the area) on Christmas day but don't want to stay overnight at that time. I do love the look of the 2 night jungle & lake experience but it's around £371 per adult - so wouldn't be far short of £1,000 for the 4 of us!!!

I really can't understand why they can't do a day trip from Khao Lak - the only thing I can think of is bottom line I'm afraid. Yes, they offer a lot more and there's no doubting the quality of what they do offer, but not everyone wants the extras.

Eco do a Hillside retreat elephant excursion which you can do in a day or half day. However, as I said earlier, although it states there is no elephant riding, it does offer other excursions i.e. elephant trek and bathing which obviously do offer riding - what I can't figure out is if they are offered at the same Hillside retreat or whether that is a different area and doesn't offer riding as it's meant to be a retreat for the elephants. It's all a bit confusing!

It's hard to know what to do for the best. We visited a genuine elephant orphanage in Sri Lanka many years ago and it was truly amazing. The work they were doing to rescue and care for orphaned babies and also older maimed animals was inspiring. I wish there was similar in the Khao Lak area of Thailand.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Elephant Sanctury

Elephant Hills is primarily a residential site where interaction with the elephants is a main part of its attraction to residents. Opening it up to day tours if they became popular would interfere with the daily routine for the camp, it's residents and more importantly it's elephants. Elephant sanctuaries are to be found in Northern Thailand near Chiang Mai.

The Hillside rescue sanctuary established in Khao Sok offers a visit to that sanctuary plus other tours in the area such as raft or canoe ride on the River Sok and. Thai cooking class (or so their website says). I'm sure either Emailing them or popping into the office when you arrive will give you further details to decide whether that is the experience you are looking for.

Mentioned in this post
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak