We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trips, in particular to Phuket?

LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Trips, in particular to Phuket?

I posted this at the end of another thread I was on but have realised I am better to start a new post as it's a different topic.

Staying at Mai Khao Lak Resort mid December 2016 over Christmas. DH, myself and girls of 11 and 8 years. We'd like to see a fair amount of the local place during our 2 weeks. We don't want to just sit in the resort every day. Do you recommend a trip to Phuket? We want to do some of the national parks around Khao Lak, potentially stay in a lake house, visit turtle conservation, elephant bathing and may visit the Orchid/Butterfly house (would organise this one ourselves), but also I'd like to do a bigger town with decent souvenir and goods shopping one day. Is Phuket best for this? We aren't bothered about snorkelling trips/diving/islands as our youngest won't do any of that on a trip, but we would do bamboo rafting and long boat trips etc as part of national parks. We are more into the culture and national parks stuff as a family really.

Thanks for any tips - I've reviewed and saved the websites of the major trip operators out there but really after advice on shopping and day trip to Phuket.

Edit - I see that one operator does and afternoon and evening in Phuket allowing you to take in the Fantasea show - might this be a good way to see Phuket/shop and do a show?

Llandudno, United...
Level Contributor
312 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trips, in particular to Phuket?

We are going to Phuket this time,as on our last visit to khao lak,we didn't make it.

We are undecided,about having an experience on the local bus,as we used to see them running,quite regularly,or hiring a private driver.

I want to go on a sat,because that's when I have read the market is on,but also want to visit the big Buddha & maybe the tiger sanctuary,but need to do more research on that,to see how they are treated,so not sure if a private driver maybe best or if everything is doable on our own.

A few guests from the hotel last time,went on the local bus,in the morning & came back late afternoon,so may do that.

Looking at your name,I am guessing your are tink,from the dibb.nice to see you enjoying your research.you will all love khao lak

Tracy x

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trips, in particular to Phuket?

Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis offers a day's shopping and tour of Phuket which is certainly the best shopping nearest to Khao Lak. The content of the tour and its duration is negotiable. The Butterfly/Orchid farm is only a very small one. The other items on your agenda are all bootable locally or by just hiring a taxi to an elephant trek (Sairung up the highway from The Mai is recommended), raft riding at Tab Lamu, a Sunday at Takua Pa (tsunami Memorial on the way, then Little Amazon canoe trip on the river then Walking Street Market which runs from 3pm to 7pm) being examples.

Edited: 13 January 2016, 05:20
LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trips, in particular to Phuket?

Hi Tracy - yes, it's me!

Yes, planning in earnest (I think once you've done a WDW holiday, you want to plan every one you do lol!).

Did you sort your accom in the end? I did reply to your post on DIBB about our Khao Lak hotel but not sure if you've seen it. Had a minor panic about building work at our resort but I've had my mind put at rest now so back to being excited!

I went into M&S today and they have a poster (their travel bureau) for Phuket and it made me giddy!

The tiger sanctuary would be amazing (if reputable). My children love anything to do with nature and animals so I'll look into that. Sounds like a tailor made trip to Phuket may be better for us.

Good luck with your research!

LINCOLN
Level Contributor
176 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trips, in particular to Phuket?

Thanks for that. Is the Fantasea show not worth doing with kids then?

I'll look into Boss. Although I was hoping if I use one operator for all the tours they may do me a deal on the prices. I know one I looked at said to email if you wanted to book a few trips and they'd negotiate.

Appreciate what you are saying about Phuket though - might be best to do our own itinerary. I think once the girls have done the local Khao Lak parks they won't be too fussed about doing more boat trips but would love the tiger sanctuary and seeing the big Buddha as well as the shopping.

I think we have so much we'll want to do we have to be careful not to overload ourselves. We want to strike a balance with relaxing too as the kids won't want to be out every day doing trips.

ETA - I know the butterfly place at Khao Lak is small so that is why we'd just sort locally with a taxi. It will prob only fill an hour or so but nice for a relax day.

Edited: 13 January 2016, 20:33
5. Re: Trips, in particular to Phuket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2017, 11:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak