We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels?

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
Hotels?

Hi

Looking to book a holiday to November and I'm torn between 2 hotels - Merlin Beach Resort or Moracea by Khaolak Resort. Admittedly both look fantastic but it'd be good to know which is considered the nicer of the two before we book.

Thanks

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
33 reviews
1. Re: Hotels?

Merlin Beach Resort is out of Patong. Moracea is in Khao Lak. Did you mean Khao Lak Merlin?

Linda

Edited: 05 January 2016, 04:28
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Hotels?

The 4* Khao Lak Merlin is located on Khao Lak Beach, the first beach you reach coming from Phuket. There are just a handful of resorts there with a number of restaurants, bars and small shops. The main township of Khao Lak with most restaurants, bars and shops is 10 minutes or so over the mountain highway by shuttle or taxi. The original part of the resort on the beachfront was one of the first luxury resorts before the Tsunami. It has since been extended with new accommodation at the back which some guests complain as being tiresome going to and fro to the beach and restaurant.

The 4* Moracea was previously the Khao Lak Resort which was extended significantly and refurbished, reopening as the Moracea last February. The new wing is more modern Thai style. It's entrance is towards the bottom of the mountain highway just before the entrance to Bang La On with some accommodation among the trees and other by the lovely Sunset Beach beachfront.

The beach at the Moracea is better for swimming than at the Merlin where it has eroded some of the beach frontages as shelves quite steeply.

Hope this helps.

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Hotels?

Yeah it really does, thanks. I think I was already kind of decided on the Moracea after reading the forums on here but all input is useful.

Essentially we're looking for somewhere relaxed and laid back where we can relax and do nothing during the day that's also close enough to a town where we can do a bit more in the evening and from what I've read this place sounds like it'll fit the bill.

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Hotels?

Hi

Yeah I think so.....I just cut and pasted the names from the Thomson website so I'm blaming them if the names wrong.

I think I'm leaning towards the Moracea already based on what I've read but I just want to make sure that it's a nice place before we book. It looks like it's a really lovely location and right on the beach so it ticks the main boxes for me. From what I've read it also sounds like it's a short walk from the town so it sounds ideal.

Thx

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Hotels?

These pics from last year show Sunset Beach and the Moracea better https:/… with the new accommodation just before it was completed and these from the previos year https:/… with the older accommodation which has now been refurbished and the beachfront pools.

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Hotels?

That's brilliant, thanks. With regards to the accomodation we're trying to work out if it's work paying extra for a bungalow as I generally prefer a room on the ground floor so I can just walk in and out without having to walk up a load of stairs - not a mobility issue I'm just lazy. Do you think it's worth the extra cost?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Hotels?

It is quite a steep hillside with steps to the accommodation not at beach level. I think all the newer accommodation is at the upper levels.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,663 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Hotels?

I think it is quite a hike up to the road to walk into town from the bungalows. If you are in the new part you are closer to the road but have to walk down steps to the beach. If you are wanting flat then have a look at the sands.

Linda

London
Level Contributor
39 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Hotels?

I think I overstated my laziness a little.....it's just holiday idleness really. The bigger issue is that I'm not a massive fan of staying in multi story type hotels, I prefer being on the ground floor and being able to walk straight out of my room and be on the beach or by the pool.

The bungalow we're looking at is quite a bit more expensive than the room costs though so I was really wondering if it was worth the extra cost or not.

Thx

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Hotels?

Neither are multi storey type hotels but the Moracea bungalows are nearer the beach than the rooms at the Merlin. Also you can walk out of the Moracea and along the beach before it gets dark and come up into Bang La On on the flat either through the Baan Khao Lak Resort or the path from the Nang Thong Beach Resort next door. Then catch a taxi back uphill after dinner or after shopping then down through the Moracea. There are other resorts on Sunset Beach with bungalows at beach level, the Wanaburee, Paradise, Palm Beach, where the same applies. They are further up hill on the way back though.

Edited: 06 January 2016, 16:04