We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai Baht

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Thai Baht

First trip to Thailand later this month, a little confused by opinions and reviews on currency and some is outdated. Should we take Thai Baht or GBP and change on the street there? Use our credit card? Would welcome opinions please.

Thanks

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
48 posts
43 reviews
1. Re: Thai Baht

Hi. Just returned to UK from Thailand. Take GBP with you and change on the street - the rate is better. We took a small amount of THB with us just to tide us over. Loads of places don't take credit cards and some had extra charges we found. Cash was king. Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip. You'll have a wonderful time.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Thai Baht

All the information you need uis in this Travellers Article taken from the Top Question FAQs on the right of the forum when viewed on a PC or laptop tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

There is a wealth of other information there for first time visitors to Khao Lak.

3. Re: Thai Baht

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 December 2015, 02:07
Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
4. Re: Thai Baht

Thank you! I shall do just that, a little THB and then GBP. Excited for our holiday!

Ireland
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
529 reviews
5. Re: Thai Baht

Even at the airport in bkk you are going to get a better rate than at home. Take gbp. And change a little at airport.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
6. Re: Thai Baht

Thank you, will take your advice!

Macclesfield...
Level Contributor
11 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: Thai Baht

I didn't take any Thai currency with me and changed gbp at the airport in Bangkok. If you go down to where the trains run to the city there are currency exchanges there that have better rates than those in the arrivals area. I got 54 Thai baht to the pound last week.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
8. Re: Thai Baht

Thank you! All opinions seems to be unanimous on the topic. Will take gbp.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,474 posts
169 reviews
9. Re: Thai Baht

In the 5 years I've been posting on the Thailand forum, I've never seen anybody recommend buying Thai baht in the UK.

There must be thousands of posts, stating buy Thai baht in Thailand, there are no posts stating buy Thai baht in the UK

Why ?, because the rate is always better in Thailand

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Thai Baht

Whilst that may be generally true there are UK currency sites who offer a rate that is now much closer to the rate obtainable in Thailand than used to be the case. I used one such site when the £ was riding high against the baht to purchase and transfer to my Thai bank account at a rate higher than the main Thai banks. Only SuperRich and Vasu offered higher. However that was for more than the average amount for a two or three week stay. Also there were sites where the rate was only a baht or two lower than in Thailand and for first timers who don't want the hassle of changing for immediate needs at the airport it is worth, as far as UK travellers are concerned purchasing say £100 worth of baht after shopping around for best rate then exchanging the rest when they arrive in Thailand. The difference on that amount is not that significant.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations