We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheow Lan lake - Boss is taking us to the pier then?

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
76 reviews
Cheow Lan lake - Boss is taking us to the pier then?

As there are 9 of us and we didn't want to do a full day, I have taken the advice of an old post and contacted Boss to do a transfer for us. He will then take us to our pre-arranged visit to the BTN children's home.

We are a bit unsure of whe we arrive at the pier. I am assuming there are a number of long tail boats their we can hire to take us out? Any approximate costs that we can expect to pay? We would also like to do some bamboo rafting or kayaking - is this possible form the same place? Alos assuming we should be able to get something to ear there if needed?

How long should we allow for the lake etc? We don't want to be there the whole day but would like to see the best parts.

Thanks for any help. I am a researcher but can't find a lot about DIY.

Edited: 01 December 2015, 12:38
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,772 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Cheow Lan lake - Boss is taking us to the pier then?

You can hire a boat when you get there, not sure of short time rates, but cost for a "day trip" which included the cave, little "Guilin" and tooling around taking photos of the cliffs for a while was 3500 B. (about 6/7 hours with the boat). I am sure a shorter trip can be arranged, but you need to figure an hour each way going to and from the middle bays which have the most dramatic views. Add an hour or two for the cave, plus time to simply cruise around and take photos.

Food is available at the pier. You can also get your boat driver to stop by one of the floating hotels for lunch, most offer a la carte options.

Most of the floating hotels have kayaks for their guests, they might let you use them a bit after lunch for a fee, but no guarantees. No bamboo rafting on the lake.

One thing to keep in mind, a lot of the boat drivers speak very little or no English, so it is a good idea to sort out your plan at the booking desk so they can tell the driver what you want to do.

There is also a park entry fee you pay at the little desk under the tree by the pier, 300 baht per person.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Cheow Lan lake - Boss is taking us to the pier then?

Have had a look at the information on the Khao Sok Forum at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1657011-i16537-… especially in the Top Question FAQs on the right?

Perth
Level Contributor
583 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: Cheow Lan lake - Boss is taking us to the pier then?

From memory, we paid about 1 500 baht for a long tail that took us sight seeing around the lake for about an hour.

We then stopped at a lake side restaurant for lunch (ordered and paid additional off a limited menu, O.K food and prices). Could have a swim while we were there.

Then about 1/2 to 3/4 hour back to the pier.

All up about 3 hours.

We drove our selves to the lake and there were 4 people.

A few years earlier, we booked a day trip to the lake with Boss that included lunch, use of a kayak and raft house for about two hours and elephant trek on the way home.

Both good experiences.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,914 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Cheow Lan lake - Boss is taking us to the pier then?

Thanks all.

I didn't think of looking for a separate forum! I did search the forums but a lot was very old. A few of our group have decided that they won't be coming however 5 of us are still keen so we will either go with a Green Anaman tour or with Laor.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Cheow Lan lake - Boss is taking us to the pier then?

You will enjoy either. They have great guides.

6. Re: Cheow Lan lake - Boss is taking us to the pier then?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2016, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak