We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in early May

Cannock
10 posts
Save Topic
Weather in early May

Planning a honeymoon at the very start of May 2017 and we have a fantastic itinerary lined up which finishes with a week in Khao Lak. It looks fantastic but I'm worried about the weather because I know it's changeable in May. Should we expect sun but with some short showers during the day? Or will it be cloudy and more rain?

Also, are the beaches still beautiful in early May or does the wind/rain spoil them somewhat?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in early May

"Should we expect sun but with some short showers during the day? Or will it be cloudy and more rain?" - as it is the beginning of the wet season it might be all of that. "Usually" as far as usually goes, there should be plenty of sun particularly until after lunch is when it tends to get cloudy and possible thunder showers, heavy but clearing fairly quickly. It will be hot and more humid and even if cloudy you will get burned if you don't use sun screen or stay exposed for too long. The ocean is rougher but in the sunshine it is still the beautiful turquoise colour you see at other times of the year. Upside of this is you can really good prices, up to half of those just a few weeks before in High Season so making one of the top end resorts on the more beautiful beaches more affordable for a honeymoon.

Hope this helps.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in early May

You will have a wonderful week in a truly magic place.

expect a few partially grey days, showers, and lots of "sunshine"

numerous long beach walks await...

Enjoy..

Cannock
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in early May

Thank you both, that puts my mind at ease. It sounds an incredible place and I can't wait to see the beautiful turquoise waters and beaches! Will there still be plenty of bars and restaurants open? We are planning to stay at Casa De la Flora.

Fingers crossed for plenty of sunshine!

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in early May

Procol is right, you will have a wonderful week in paradise. We have been in KL the past 2 Mays and the only complaint I had from the wife was it was sometimes too hot. Some days the black clouds roll in from the horizon around 2.00pm, it buckets down for 20 minutes then dries up just as fast, other days you don't get them. We are already planning April-May next year (even though we head back this Saturday for 2 weeks in Phuket & Khao Lak).

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in early May

Yes, buckets of both..

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in early May

Have a look at latest map of Khao Lak to locate the Casa de la Flora and many nearby restaurants most, if not all, of which will be open in May at http://www.t3x.de/khaolak/BangNiangKarte.htm

7. Re: Weather in early May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2016, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations