We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ko Surin 3 days independently

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
Ko Surin 3 days independently

Hi there,

Im planning to visit the Surin Islands for 3 days/2 nights, on the 11th of Jan independently with my wife. Reading the reviews and advices we dont want to join a tour.

Ive read hundreds of comments but still have some questions.

Could anybody help please?

- I know there is a slower boat to Surin from Khuraburi which is told to be way cheaper than the speed boat. (but much slower of course).

Do you know about ticket fares, travel duration and starting time?

Where can I buy the ticket? Only trough travel agencies too?

- We would stay in tents on the island (Mai Ngam Bay).

Is it necessary to book a tent ahead? Or there is always vacancy, no need to book?

- How much is a tent for a night? I found only bungalow prices.

- There is only one HQ on the island, at Kong Khad?

- How much is the park fee for a day (or for more)?

Thank you!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Ko Surin 3 days independently

Sorry, I can't comment on an independent your as I have only the experience of an organised 3 day/2night tour organised through Kuraburi Greenview who I would highly recommend for the tour and all its arrangements. However, the least enjoyable part which I would not repeat was sleeping in a tent on the beach. Even though we asked for extra mats to sleep on it was like sleeping on rocks. It was hot and humid, the tents are close together and sound travels so 2 nights of very little and very uncomfortable sleep. Also getting up at night to visit the not very nice toilets you run the risk of tripping over tent guide ropes, which I did, creating even more noise and disturbing others. We wanted to stay in a bungalow but these were being refurbished at the time.

If we were to stay over again we would definitely choose a bungalow rather than a tent both of which have to be booked in advance with the National Park or through a tour agency or with a tour.

Good luck!

Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
7 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: Ko Surin 3 days independently

Ok, thanks anyway Arandora!

What did you hear about Sabina Tours? Are they reliable? Quality of service?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Ko Surin 3 days independently

Never heard of them or any mention of them on the forum. The absence of any English on both their Facebook page and website would worry me if I had to rely on Google to translate them. There is a review by an independent traveller to the Surins which mentions them at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g2043916-d… but is over 2 years old. I would stick with Kuraburi which is the longest established and most recommended operator in my experience - see www.kuraburigreenviewresort.com/tours.html

Karlsruhe, Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
4. Re: Ko Surin 3 days independently

In addition to:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g2043916-d…

Take a day bus from Khao Lak towards Ranong to Kuraburi.

Stay in Boon Piya Resort in Kuraburi

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1152716-d20120… - REVIEWS

The owner will arrange everything for you in the evening:

Transportation to the pier, speed boat, overnight stay in a tent, transportation back to Kuraburii.

Or talk accross the street with Sabina Tours.

Before buy cheap air mattresses and snorkeling equipment in Khao Lak and not forget towels. When you're back in Kuraburi, on the same day there are still buses to Khao Lak.

Enjoy your trip.

(Sorry about my bad english)

5. Re: Ko Surin 3 days independently

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2016, 11:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak