We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Getting around

Hi all,

Off to Khao Lak on the 19th Nov to stay in the Manathai Hotel and am well aware of the location being secluded etc.

My partner and I are wishing to see all the sites and things to do on the helpful (thank you!) lists on this forum. Just wondering if anyone has done it all on a motorbike? I have rode motorbikes in Thailand before so I know what to expect with the dangers etc, Im just wondering if some of the sites are just too far for a motorbike and would be better getting a car? The most I have rode is around the 1 hour mark.

Thanks,

Jack

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
MANATHAI Khao Lak
MANATHAI Khao Lak
1,016 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around

Presumably you have a UK motorbike licence so that you would be driving legally and with your own insurance in Thailand? If not I would advise hiring a car on your UK car licence.

In either case have a look at this recent topic which will give you a link to a Travellers Article for some car self-drive trips and at the end very recently added maps showing suggested cycle and scooter tours in and around Khao Lak tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

It depends what sites you are interested in visiting to advise on the distance and road conditions. Most sites are accessed via Highway 4, a very busy and fast highway, that runs all the way south to north through Khao Lak. It is mostly 2 lanes with a cycle lane at each side. A licenced scooter should be fine to visit the various beaches and main townships along Khao Lak's 25 km coastline. The two main townships, Bang Niang and Bang La On are about 25 - 30 minutes south from the Manathai. Driving between here at night is potentially dangerous as it is mostly unlit.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
MANATHAI Khao Lak
MANATHAI Khao Lak
1,016 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around

Ofcourse. I can ride up to 125cc.

Thank you for your help, I will make sure to read that thread.

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around

Ofcourse. I can ride up to 125cc.

Thank you for your help, I will make sure to read that thread.

Edited: 09 November 2015, 23:37
4. Re: Getting around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2016, 11:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak