We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time-booked for friday--HELP

Glenrothes...
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
first time-booked for friday--HELP

Myself and husband have just booked for 2 weeks at Park Hotel Khao Lak--we see know that it is quite a distance from Phuket (travel agent said it was there).We are looking for any advice from travellers that will enable us to get as much enjoyment from this holiday as possible.We are aged early 50,s.I had researched for things to do in phuket -cookery class/weekend market/shopping/motocross riding--is this still viable to do from Khao Lak?......what is best way to get to Phuket from this area?Can we book trips to other areas of interest easily or would we be better hiring a car? We would also like to have few days in Bangkok we had planned to fly from phuket direct..Im a bit worried now that out holiday will be quite remote and consist of beach only--we are not sea based people.We do like some scenic things but also like some more activities

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,980 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: first time-booked for friday--HELP

It is about 2 hours by car from Khao Lak to Phuket (about an hour from Phuket airport) so I would forget about trying to do activities that are in Phuket.

If your travel agent told you that the booking was in Phuket and that is where you are wanting to be I would be getting your agent to change your booking - it is their error after all.

Having said that, check out the Things to Do tab at the top of this forum and you might be surprised at what is available in Khao Lak and surrounds.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,980 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: first time-booked for friday--HELP

I went to edit my post to add a bit but was too late. Here are a few that I have pulled out from the lists that might interest you.

Cooking class (this is only one of a number) tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g297914…

Cycling tour tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g297914…

The amazing Khao Sok National Park including Cheow lan lake tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g297914…

There are also ATV tours, rafting, waterfalls etc. There is also the Bang Niang Market (not on the same scale as Phuket though) and plenty of places to eat and drink. Maybe you could do a day trip to Phuket for the weekend market and take in a couple of things while there to make the most of the trip. I think before discounting it, have a look at what is available and make up your mind from there.

Edited: 09 November 2015, 03:43
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: first time-booked for friday--HELP

Why would you want to go to Phuket when you can enjoy cooking classes in Khao Lak at a number of places. Have a look at these topics for information and recommendations:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

and this one including market visit tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k… - there is a large local market 3 days a week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays in Bang Niang which is about 20 minutes from the Park Hotel by taxi or shuttle

or this tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

No moto cross in Khao Lak or Phuket or anywhere nearby as far as I know.

If you really want to visit Phuket, Boss of Cheaper than Hotel Taxis in Khao Lak does a full day shopping/sight seeing trip. Contact him on cheaper_khaolak@ymail.com He also does airport transfers and other tours.

You can book tours easily from near to your hotel. Just up and right from the Park is a small plaza with a mini mart and Ruk Talay Tour Agency shop. You can see pics of typical tours at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

It is more usual to start a first visit with a few days in Bangkok before flying to Phuket then taxi transfer (about an hour) to Khao Lak or fly from Phuket to Bangkok and spend a few days there enjoying the wonderful tours and "shopping til you drop" there.

Glenrothes...
Level Contributor
25 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: first time-booked for friday--HELP

thank you for your replies and advice--Im not changing my destination as it is booked now and i believe it has been for a reason-I am sure we will enjoy here just as much if not more..I welcome any advice and information--I have around 4 days to learn about area before coming and i hope that others who like the area will share their knowledge --Thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: first time-booked for friday--HELP

If you haven't already, use a PC or laptop to view the full site then you can view and look at the many Top Question FAQs that will help you with information about Khao Lak. If you have any specific questions please ask.

6. Re: first time-booked for friday--HELP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2016, 10:47