We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK travel money card

cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
UK travel money card

Hi, when we visited the states we used a travel money card from the post office and topped it up with our spending money ( this also helped with keeping our money separate and curb possible over spending!) I would like to use one again for this Thailand trip but I'm struggling to find one that I can top up with bhats anyone recommend one? Thanks in advance :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK travel money card

I don't think there is a UK card which you can load with baht so will have to load it with £, paying whatever charge is made if any, then use it at an ATM to draw baht at whatever the exchange rate is, paying any charges by the card issuer and the charge of 180 baht per withdrawal made by the Thai bank. These are the latest day to day rates at all Thai banks which change constantly throughout the day http://daytodaydata.net/

Questionable from that point of view as to any real advantage of a travel money card over a debit card.

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
101 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK travel money card

Hi there, Just saw this question as we will also be visiting Thailand next Feb/March and am following various forums. Hadn't thought of "Cash Passports", but we have used them in various countries & as far as I know, you top-up in UK with sterling and can then draw out at any suitable ATM (depending on whether your card is "MasterCard" or "Visa") in the local currency(Baht). I would have thought that this will work fine, but I'm sure there are going to be more replies from people with first-hand experience.

cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK travel money card

Hi Aarondora thank you for the reply, its a shame that its not a currency that we can use as found it really useful last time. As you say it would be as cheap to use a debit card.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK travel money card

The best card for cash is a Halifax Clarity Credit Card. No charges/commision and great rate of exchange but you still incur the 180 baht charge. Also you are charged interest from day one and to minimise this you should clear the full balance by setlement date. I use on-line banking to do this.

5. Re: UK travel money card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2016, 10:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations