We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach walks

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Beach walks

Hi

Will be going to Khao Lak in 2 weeks time (yay!!) and love the idea of all the beach cafes/restaurants. We are staying at the Bandari Resort which I believe is very central. However, I was wondering how far you can walk along the beach past The Sands which I think is the closest beach front Hotel, towards the Northern end of Khao Lak as it seems there is a great choice of places to eat on the beach in this direction

Thanks in anticipation

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Beach walks

Depending on the state of the tides and so how easy to cross the creeks that separate the various beaches you can walk for about 15 - 20 km. Not that I would recommend that as you will fry in the exposed sun and heat! More realistically you can go right from the Sands, first past Peter Bar in about 10 minutes or so then a further 15 minutes past La Own Resort to a row of beach restaurants/bars/massage places then across the creek and on to Bang Niang Beach where there are two or three restaurants then you have Bang Niang beach frontage resorts with Nong Prew Restaurant at the far end.

The Green Beach Resort and Nang Thong Beach Resort are in front of the Bhandari and have beachfront Restaurants and past those to the left is Coconuts for good, food, drink and music. The centre of Bang La On where there are many restaurants in both directions is just up the beach rod where there are restaurants and bars on the way.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
2. Re: Beach walks

Phew, Im exhausted just thinking about it! ;) Thanks Arandora!

Maybe would be an idea to get a taxi from the main road towards the north end of KL and walk back for a bit from there just to see whats on offer!

Thanks!

norwich
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Beach walks

Be very careful crossing over to bang niang beach we found it to be exceptionally deep this year and it caused quite a few problems for the unwary.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Beach walks

Unless you want to go further than Bang Niang Beach, bearing in mind the condition of the creek mentioned previously, I would recommend getting a taxi further north up to Coconut Beach or the adjacent White Sand Beach on Pak Weeb Beach which is about 25 minutes from the Bhandari. A completely different beach, the most beautiful of KL's 9 beaches. Go to Coconut Beach for the day having lunch and free use of the loungers/umbrellas at the Boatyard restaurant and a good walk in either direction to work up or walk off lunch. See pics at https:/…

essex
Level Contributor
70 posts
77 reviews
5. Re: Beach walks

Hi bettyboo,

We stayed at the Bhandari Resort early this year and are returning early next year, I'm sure you will love it there.

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
146 reviews
6. Re: Beach walks

As per post 4

highly recommend a lunch at the boatyard

wonderful setting

and a good long walk north afterwoods

a great day..

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Beach walks

Thanks Arandora, thats a great help!

Our friends have just come back from KK after 'glampacking' all around the South of Thailand and they said KK was their favourite place (although Railay gave it a run for its money!) so very excited now!

They also said that the bridge over the creek was challenging too NorwichBlue1 :) I have seen a picture of it and it doesn't look like its been risk assessed lol!

Thanks everyone else for all comments!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
8. Re: Beach walks

KK, do you mean KL?

I think we may be talking about the wrong creek. There is no bridge over the creek between Nang Thong Beach and Bang Niang Beach. There is a little "ferry" - a platform pulled across by the Thai operator with a rope - that operates but not always during High Season. There is a rickety bridge over the creek on Pak Weeb Beach just past the Beyond Resort across to the restaurants on the opposite side and a better constructed one across the next creek just past the Mai Resort across to Bang Sak Beach.

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
9. Re: Beach walks

Sorry folks, meant KL not KK!

Lytham St Anne's...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Beach walks

Yes sorry Arandora I was talking about the rickety bridge near to the Manathai Hotel which is where our friends stayed last week

I can see I will have to do little more research re the North of KL

Is there a decent map of this area like the one of central KL that I have seen on previous posts as that is really helpful

No matter if not as I'm sure we will get to know our way around soon enough! :)

Edited: 25 October 2015, 14:45
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations