We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak Trips Tour Operator or Local?

Sutton Coldfield...
Level Contributor
35 posts
74 reviews
Khao Lak Trips Tour Operator or Local?

I have been researching various trips for our stay in January 2016 in Khao Lak. We are flying with Thomson and their excursions are similar to the ones that you can book through local agents such as Khao Lak Vista, except Thomson are more expensive.

Thomson seems to include insurance and I wonder if that is what the extra cost is for. Can anyone please advise on whether it is best to pre book online or wait till I get there? Thomson or local?

I have read about the overcrowding on speedboats and wonder if anyone can advise on the pros and cons of the long nose boats.

Thanks is advance

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak Trips Tour Operator or Local?

Most 3rd party agents and tour companies whether as part of a package or on-line or in a travel shop on the high street use the same operators and prices booked when you are arrive are very competitive in the travel shops and usually cheaper (more expensive through your hotel) unless you must go on a particular day when it's advisable to book in advance. The extra cost is usually for commission or less customers than locally rather than insurance.

Some operators to the Similan or Surin Islands fill their speedboats more than others. Those not doing so include Fantastic Similan (book at local agents), Khao Lak Land Discovery at their office next door to Nang Thong Supermarket and Similan Charter & Tour - see http://similanstour.com/

Long tail (not nose) boats only operate on certain tours such as Phang Nga Bay from the local pier near Phang Nga Town, fishing trips from the beach or trips on Cheow Lan Lake in Khao Sok National Park for instance but not to the Similans or Surins which are over an hour out to sea by speedboat. Longtails are perfectly safe on the tours on which they are used.

See pics of the various tours in and around Khao Lak at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

Other tour operators to consider other than Khao Lak Vista are Green Andaman Travel at http://www.greenandamantravel.com/ Khao Lak Land Discovery at www.khaolaklanddiscovery.com/eng/index.php… or Eco Khao Lak at http://ecokhaolak.com/

For a personalised guided tour contact Lora of Dior Travel in Bang Niang at diorkhaolak@yahoo.co.th

Sutton Coldfield...
Level Contributor
35 posts
74 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak Trips Tour Operator or Local?

Thank you for a very thorough response. I will check out your web links and enjoy planning our trips. All the best! Paul

South Melbourne...
Level Contributor
7 posts
245 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak Trips Tour Operator or Local?

Hi we are in Zlhao Lak this week. We went on private car your with Mr Wit. He was excellent and great value. He can organise other tours too.

His number is 082-2885073"

He calls it Friendly Tour.

Email i_iam_wit@hotmail.com

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Khao Lak Trips Tour Operator or Local?

Thanks Antoinette

Mr.Wit added to Top Question FAQ "Finding a TOUR GUIDE" on the right.

5. Re: Khao Lak Trips Tour Operator or Local?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2016, 09:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak